I might have an eunice worm need some suggestions

impur

Ok so i've been slowely watching one of my micromussa colonies receed polyp by polyp. Each morning there is sand particles on and around the missing polyp, or the new receding polyp, and the sand is held together by some type of mucus. Then just last week i noticed one of my acan lord frags with 4 polyps and a baby now has only 2 half polyps and 2 quarter polyps left. I did not find any of that sand this time. Then another acan lord has a spot about the size of a pencil eraser that does have the sand and mucus. I scrapped away the sand and there is only skeleton beneath it. This morning yet another one of my acan lord frags is missing a baby polyp, and a small piece of an adult polyp. I also notice missing zoa polyps on a few frags daily.

Now i guess this could be a bacteria or something, but some days go by and I don't see any missing polyps or receding polyps. Then one morning i wake up and bam my fav lord frag is almost completely gone.

So how do i catch it? I've got a jar with some silversides in the bottom propped up against one of the zoa frags that seems to be missing a polyp or 2 each morning. I have covered the opening with gutter guard to keep snails and hermits out. But its been in the tank for 4 days now and i haven't even caught a bristle worm.

I've gone thru periods where zoa polyps seemed to disappear overnight. I'd remove those colonies to QT, thinking they had some sort of bacteria or fungus, and treat them there. Then back to the display and a few months later the same thing happens. Now i think there is something munching them.

Any ideas?

A case of beer and a red flashlight :)

That doesn't sound so bad!

I don't have any crabs other than hermits. I am going to start removing those this weekend to QT and see what happens. I have mainly scarlett hermits with a few blue legs.

No cowries. I did notice a nassarius snail laying on the sand next to a rock this morning that is also near my acans and micro. It looked dead or at least stunned, just laying half out of its shell not moving. Now that i think of it i've noticed that more and more around this particular rock. So out it comes this weekend along with the other rocks near it.

A case of beer and a red flashlight :)

It took me several nights......and much beer.....before I finally spotted mine......and he was 7 feet long. Have the red flashlight as low as will still allow you to see. They can see the red ligt and will retreat. Look in holes and gaps in the rock and watch for motion....they don't come out into the open often. It's best to just keep things as dark as possible while viewing. No trap will work. They will not leave the safety of the rocks.....and certainly not in its entirity.

Mine lived in a cave at the bottom of the cave - there was a lot of carnage in the cave - shells - many empty shells. I saw him one night coming out of the rock and into the sand. I ended up taking the whole dang rock out - busted the rock up and found some of him. I never saw him completely come out of the rock...just partially. He had chased my large brittle star out of the cave - that is what tipped me off something was wrong.

Well i'm going to remove the rock that is near my acans first and just dip it in TMPCC. I don't have a ton of rock on that side of my tank luckily and i'm sure its on that side. I noticed an odd web looking thing on the side of the rock, didn't look like a sponge and it is right above where i saw that snail yesterday. That snail is gone now, donno where it went.

Thanks for the advice Steve. I'm armed for the weekend :D