Digital camera suggestions

Lowman

I hear that the D-80 and the xSi are just about the same. There is a LOOOOOONG thread over on nano-reef where people with one are bashing the other, but when it all boils down to it, it is a matter of preference, and if you have any equipment that will work with one.

Either way, you will need to get a macro lens. I have been told that they can run an extra $3-500.

Me and my wife just bought a Cannon Rebel xSi, and we are well pleased with it. My next purchase is a macro lens for it.

dsoz

If your looking for a "Prosumer" model (a step down from DSLR) I recently got the Canon Powershot S5 IS. This camera is GREAT! The macro is so good, you can touch the lens to what you're shooting and it will focus that close. The rear LCD is articulating so that if you're shooting above your head or below your belt, you can adjust the screen to see your shot. IMHO this is an awesome camera for a non-DSLR. For examples you can go to:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steelhead77/

and

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonpowershots5is/

This site is a great resource for comparisons of just about every camera made:

http://www.dpreview.com/

Good Luck.

Prob a XT or XTI Canon and a macro lens you can afford. You can spend more on the body, but it wouldnt be necessary.

40D would be the next jump up IMO and then you get the benifit of a much better build in body and Live View for use in focusing which would be very helpful on macro shots. I just sold my XTI to my sister and got myself a nice 50D. :)

Most swear by the 100mm Canon macro lens, or you can spend extra and get the MPE-65 lens.

Good place to see what others are using and their results.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38

I'm with the canon, have a Rebel XTI and just bought my daughter the PowerShot SX10. I'm sure it can take macro shote with the lens it came with, the first thing we did was take tank and coral shots the came out just as good as the rebel

what kind of camera are you looking for? i have a point and shoot that does very well in my needs for a camera. the olypus stylus 1030SW is waterproof 33ft, shockproof 6.6ft, impact resistant 250lbs, freezeproof -10, and takes great pics at 10.1MP and awesome point and shoot macros it really is a great camera. nothing takes pics with better color when they have to go through a discolored piece of glass. i just put on my snorkel and flippers and stick my arms in the tank.

I'm a Nikon guy, for a number of reasons. For aquarium photography, their wireless Creative Lighting System is amazingly useful -- I can hold my external speedlight off the camera and have it automatically, wirelessly controlled by the internal flash on the camera body. The gives so much flexibility; you can shoot just about anything, anywhere in a tank.

IMO Canon has stronger autofocus (not a factor in macro photography) and slightly lower noise at higher sensitivities (also not a factor in aquarium photography). Also IMO, Nikon tends to have better optics.

I suggest you try both out. Pay attention to which feels better in your hands, which menu and control layout you prefer, etc. I also think you should pay close attention to the wireless flash capabilities, not only because it is a particular strength for Nikon, but because it is genuinely useful in aquarium photography.

Do yourself a favor and get a DSLR so you can get a good lens to do the shots you want. I lean towards Nikon as well. For price VS. Features you tend to get a little more out of nikon. May want to check around a little, you can get some deals on the ones in the lower price range. Prophoto in Portland is a good place to get some great advise on what to get, and sometimes good deals on used cameras. bandhphoto.com is a good place to.

In the price range you are speaking of most if not all of the camera's mentioned are not applicable.

I prefer Canon's for the SLR's, the amplifier arrangement on Nikons, Kodak's, and Fuji's is just not up to par. If they would have learned what the space program learned in the 60's they would be much better camera's. We like to think of digital as being new, it is not. They were making 8 foot by 8 foot macro shots with accuracy down to a 1/1000th of a millimeter fifty years ago.

Also very important to remember that a mega pixel is not a standard unit of measurement. 1Mp can have far better resolution then 10 Mp if the 1 Mp is used effectively and the 10Mp is not. Similiar to how a car with a V4 can embarrass a car with a V12 off the line. Just because the car has a V12 does not mean it has wheels, nor does it mean it has gasoline. More goes into a camera then just a megapixel.

Cost is not always a good comparison either. I replaced a 7K setup with a 2K setup a few years back. Ya the Nikon D1X was the latest and greatest, but the Canon 10d could actually make the 40x60" prints I needed it to, the Nikon could not. Despite the 5K price difference. I upgraded in about three months.

I have used many many different brands, I can back it up with experience, more then most. But just the macro lens for a Canon is going to run you $500, that's not including the body, flash, memory card, or tripod. If you want a lens for everyday use that's another $400 for an O.K. lens, another $1500 for a great lens.

If your just looking for a good quality photo for Under $500 I would go with the Sony Cyber Shot DSC W300. You can pick that up for $300 and spend the extra cash on a tripod and memory card, or spend a bit more for the under water housing so you can put the camera in the tank for macro shots. In all of the point and shoots I have purchased it is the only one I have ever not returned. Going on 4 months now, kind of a record for me.

I've made photography my profession for the last 12 years. I have a bit of experience. Used many types of camera's personally. IMO the best bang for the buck is the Cyber Shot DSC W300. There is a slightly more expenisve model but I prefer the wheel for changing modes to the touch screen myself. The Manual setting that shows you the final picture result on the back of the camera before you click the shutter is something that is a long time coming as well. Even the Canon and Nikon people are jealous of that. I was kinda shocked myself to be honest. Even the 1D does not offer that.

If you want to spend a few grand, I would go for the Canon, if you want to spend a few hundred, the Sony's are the way to go IMHO. There is a big difference between the two in the professional world, but most of it you will never know. Not meaning to sound arrogant, but how often do you make prints the size of your front door.

JME. Everyone knows something about photography these days, so my opinion and a buck will still buy you a coke.;)

I'm a Nikon guy, for a number of reasons. For aquarium photography, their wireless Creative Lighting System is amazingly useful -- I can hold my external speedlight off the camera and have it automatically, wirelessly controlled by the internal flash on the camera body. The gives so much flexibility; you can shoot just about anything, anywhere in a tank.

I believe this only works with D60 and up? My D40 wont do this, although I am in love with the new speedlight.

Whatever you do, if you are lookin to spend 500, make it six and get a good DSLR and a couple lenses. Costco usually has good deals.

I believe this only works with D60 and up? My D40 wont do this' date=' although I am in love with the new speedlight. [/quote']

I'm not sure, I know there are a couple of models that don't support it -- definitely check the specs sheet if it's important.

Prob a XT or XTI Canon and a macro lens you can afford. You can spend more on the body, but it wouldnt be necessary.

40D would be the next jump up IMO and then you get the benifit of a much better build in body and Live View for use in focusing which would be very helpful on macro shots. I just sold my XTI to my sister and got myself a nice 50D. :)

Most swear by the 100mm Canon macro lens, or you can spend extra and get the MPE-65 lens.

Good place to see what others are using and their results.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38

DAM NICE PIC'S ON THAT SITE.:) the ice shots where really good

I hear that the D-80 and the xSi are just about the same. There is a LOOOOOONG thread over on nano-reef where people with one are bashing the other...

dsoz

Oh yeah, if there is one sure way to start a fight it's getting photo geeks to start debating Nikon vs. Canon! I can say that since I'm one of them.

Anyway, lots of good advice on here Bob. If you choose a prosumer (non DSLR) make sure the macro capability is good since you are kind of stuck with what you get out of the box for the most part.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, if there is one sure way to start a fight it's getting photo geeks to start debating Nikon vs. Canon! I can say that since I'm one of them.

Sounds like a great plan! Andy is willing to do a Digital Photo Workshop for our February 15th PNWMAS Meeting! All we need is a warzone... er, I mean location. Would someone be willing to host next month's meeting(February 15th) in their home? We would like it to be in the Vancouver/Portland area if possible. If all goes as planned, the March meeting will be in the Salem area.

There is a big difference between the two in the professional world, but most of it you will never know. Not meaning to sound arrogant, but how often do you make prints the size of your front door.

JME. Everyone knows something about photography these days, so my opinion and a buck will still buy you a coke.;)

Wise words by an expert!

I think a good place to begin might be post what kind of cameras you have had in the past and what you liked and didn’t like about them. Then we can give you alternatives. You MUST then trust us and implicitly follow our recommendations! What do you want to do with the camera?

DSLR’s are expensive and bulky. Picture yourself going into a restaurant and bringing your camera along. If you have a DSLR you are going to need a case. Well, they don’t make cases that are like the old form fitting cases. You need something even bulkier (ie. hip case). Oh yeah; if you have another lens you are going to need to bring that along in ANOTHER case or get a larger case to begin with. Are you really going to want to lug that all around your Wally World vacation with 3 hot dogs in your hand or while hiking to top of Half Dome in a futile (and dated) attempt to emulate f/64’s Ansel Adams. You’ll look really way cool with that camera, though…until it is outmoded in a few years or breaks just after the 1 year warranty.

Here is another scenario: You pop this amazing little device in your BREAST POCKET before you go into The Ritz Dining Room….

“Oh but it takes those crappy photos”.

Look at corelreefaquarist’s photos using a $90-$130 camera with a viewing box. Now look at his earlier photos using a $1,000 camera. Which is better?

I will not put MY “better” (DSLR) cameras under 20” of salt water.

The most important thing is not to go down the CaNikDak road and have fun. Oh..and don't follow opinionated peoples advice...err.. just invalidated myself.

My own current CaNikDak cul-de-sac:

Toyo 4X5 view, Crown Graphic 4X5 view (very sweet) , Rollei 6X6, Bronica 6X6, Canon 35mm, Fuji dig., Nikon dig., and another Nikon (DSLR)dig. And a few others..

Here is a link to Chris Rauschenberg’s work, just for fun.

Chris lives in Portland. I heard that he was going around a few years ago using a $5.00 Chinese camera taking photos of chicken coops. Chris’ dad is the recently, deceased Robert Rauschenberg.

“Three art works by Rauschenberg are currently listed on sale on the

Sotheby’s Web site, with the most expensive selling for $10 to $15 million.

Rauschenberg’s work already fetched six figures to millions of dollars

before his death”.

Fair to decent bloodline?

http://www.christopherrauschenberg.com/Site/Daily%20Life.html