T-5 question

cgrant

I have a roockie question on lighting. I purchased a fixture used. It has two 400w MH and two t-5's. It is time to replace the T-5's but I do not know if they are HO or standard. The only marking on the tube is Pacific Coast Imports. Does it matter what I replace them with. I read that the Icecap 660 ballast can run VHO's, T-8's and t-5's. So do I just need to make sure I don't exceed the wattage for my ballast? I have not looked at the ballast(not easy to get at).

Generally speaking if they say 24/39/54 watts then you can replace them with any bulb as long as the wattage is the same.

The HO bulbs are designed to be overdriven off an Icecap ballast.

Does the fixture use an Icecap ballast?

If they're PCI bulbs then they are standard bulbs. I'd suggest any of the Giesmann bulbs for replacements.

OK, I looked at the ballast. It says it will take 1 or 2 54w. That settled i would like to get some opinions on bulbs. I like the geisemann bulbs as I have heard a lot of good things about them. I am currently running two 400w 14k MH. What would be a good complement to these? I opted for 14k on my last mh bulb change because I was tired of it looking like the mother ship had landed in my living room. I would like to get a little of the blue color back in my tank though.

Not really. KZ makes a lamp called the Figi Purple, a lot of people like it, but I don't think it's the all that. It seems to have that cool brand appeal... Also, UVL makes Super Actinic which is supposed to be like the VHO, but it's too blue.

The best color is the Pure Actinic but as I'm sure you know, it's too dim...

Side note:

UVL is about to release 2 new lamps, one to compete with ATI's pro-color, and the other is called the 454, just like the Geisemann Actinic+

I'm going to try out a line called Aqua-Science. It's supposed to be the hot new thing... I'll let you know what it turns out to be.

Not really. KZ makes a lamp called the Figi Purple, a lot of people like it, but I don't think it's the all that. It seems to have that cool brand appeal... Also, UVL makes Super Actinic which is supposed to be like the VHO, but it's too blue.

The best color is the Pure Actinic but as I'm sure you know, it's too dim...

Side note:

UVL is about to release 2 new lamps, one to compete with ATI's pro-color, and the other is called the 454, just like the Geisemann Actinic+

I'm going to try out a line called Aqua-Science. It's supposed to be the hot new thing... I'll let you know what it turns out to be.

Yeah those Pure Actinic are defintely weak.

Yeah let me know hows those Aqua Science bulbs go.