More great service and livestock from Coral Reef

bucky1168

yes, they dont touch the rest of the star, just the tubefeet. what you want to do is get about 10 choc chip stars, and rotate them. let the shrimp pick for a day, then put the star in the sump. wait a day then grab another star, pull him out after 24 hours, then another, ect. this way they can regenerate. i have also heard of rotating several and just chopping off a leg. they regenerate, so chop away. sounds bad, but probably less painful then being slowly picked apart.

The shrimp will eat the entire starfish not just the feet. I had a pair of them and they ate about a star a week. I would just throw one in about every 2 weeks and they were happy. If you see it wandering around the tank that usually meens the starfish is gone. Only time mine came out from there hole was when the starfish was no more. Good luck and enjoy the shrimp they are interesting to watch.

I will have to agree with Spectra. The one I got will eat the whole star, not just the feet. I think it depends on how picky it is. Mine is busy eating those small little stars that eat coralline algae but I supplement with cutting off a leg of the star. Then it eats the whole thing. I heard it does not hurt the star because it is a defense mechanism for the star to remove a leg if a predator has it so it can get free. I also will have several chocolate stars and rotate through.