Stray Voltage?

downhill_biker

Can anyone explain whether stray voltage is bad or not. I know I am getting small amounts of it because i get a small shock when i touch the water right. I have heard that it doesn't hurt anything to have some as long as it isn't grounded, but I have also heard that some people have grounding probes. Can someone help me out here?

I would second that from RoseCity. I was getting a shock from my freshwater tank before and come to find out there was a hair line crack in my heater. Who would have guessed that that would be leaking electricity into my tank. Wierd thing is the shock would make me jump but my fish weren't reacting at all.

i am not so much worried about where the electricity is coming from as much as whether i need a grounding probe or not. stray voltage is common in many if not most tanks. mine is putting off a grand total of 11 volts. this is caused by a little from many things most likely. does anyone know weather it is better or worse to use a ground probe? who has one, and who doesn't?

I would second that from RoseCity. I was getting a shock from my freshwater tank before and come to find out there was a hair line crack in my heater. Who would have guessed that that would be leaking electricity into my tank. Wierd thing is the shock would make me jump but my fish weren't reacting at all.

Thats because your fish arent grounded.As you stick your hand in the tank you are effectively grounding that circut(electricity passes through you hence the shock).Grounding probes eliminate this.

Everything electrical in a tank puts off an electric field - heaters, powerheads, etc. Add to this electric lights and salt spray for those tanks with attached canopies. I have used ground probes for over 15 years now. I also recommend the use of a GFIC - Ground Fault interrupter Circuit. I have found the GFCI to still serve it's purpose, and operate efficiently while using a ground probe.