Best way to frag Seasons greetins monti

CA2OR

Well the thing is that I never said anything about that. I have had people come over for various reasons...they see it and then their are like..."hey you should frag that to help it grow" amongst other reasons that I have heard. Is it hard to find or what?

Thank you for your efforts. I have a feeling that the subject of fragging it was purely to try and get some of it. What makes me mad about that is I have said over and over again as soon as it is decent size (right now it only about the size of a quarter...little bigger) that I would give or trade frags. Didn't even say sell. Patients can really be worth while on this one.

Thank you all for your advice. I know this is a un-answerable question but on an average how much growth should you expect from a montipora?

Mrgreenthumb, I imagine under the current lighting that growing to that size will take a very long time. But I have to say that sounds like good advice to me. Besides I kinda expected that, that was the reason to people wanting me to frag it. What I don't get is, due to the fact that the specimen is only a quarters size or so wouldn't it do more damage than anything to frag it?

Growth, is based solely on conditions. If everything is within an exceptable range it will grow, If everything is optimal, flow, nutrients, water chemistry in general, temp, and lighting then it will grow even faster!!! How fast it grows is up to you for the most part!!! Fragging it would probably cause a small amount of tissue loss, but nothing that wouldn't heal in a couple days time under optimal conditions. That monti is a pretty fast grower, or so i've heard.....so if your not getting very much growth you may need to take a look at what things you could change to increase your growth rates, like say metal halides.....:D or if you are satisfied with how it grows, then leave it as it is...

just so you know i wasn't referring to you mark, i don't think he was talking about you either for that matter as i can't see you saying it would help it grow faster or anything like that :D Trading is my favorite way to aquire new corals as its free for you and me!!!!!! I just personally have a hard time fragging a frag :D plus i'm kinda greedy hehehe

Yeah,

Mrgreenthumb: What makes this funny is it came from 250MH's to my weak little tank. When I got it, it was about the size of a thumbtac or pushpin head. Put it under my 3x8w T5's and 6 months later it is the size of a quarter. I would imagine that is pretty slow growth. I can't wait to put it under my 150MH and see what happens in the next 6 months.

Mark: you were not one of the ones I was talking about, you are on top of list. As for fraging to obtain new corals, that is how I got almost all of mine. In the beginning I had some PPE's and Superman Monti that I got from a buddy of mine, and pretty decent size frags at that. When I saw they were dying in my tank I had another buddy come over and cut off the dying stuff and frag the remainder's, I then traded them off to get what you saw plus a few more that I had since gotten rid of.