Thinking about a Kole Tang

Michael7979

Well I was gonna ask about a yellow tang in the 36g I am going to be putting up here.

Watch out for the tang police, but I have 2 tangs in my 36g bowfront! A very small blue & very small yellow.

I have had the blue for 7 months now and the yellow for 3 months. I feed very heavily, and I have seen no growth in either of them. They seem to be very happy and stress free!

Dont tell my girlfriend, but I bought them in hopes of them growing out of my tank! Its a good excuse to upgrade!!! (whistle)

Heres the only decent pics I have handy of them. Its very hard to get decent pics of them, especially together.

3128084207_532236d280.jpg?v=0

3168595767_3c041e35ce.jpg?v=0

I would like to find baby yellow tangs. Anyone know where I can get one?

Waves have a few about the size of mine right now that looked healthy. I was very picky when I bought mine. I got it from Seahorse, and waited 4 months for the right one to come it that was the right size and healthy looking. The fins on both of my tanks are nearly perfect. I dont like raggedy fins! (scratch)

In my opinion, the seahorse is great. Its my favorite shop in town. I think they got a bad rap a few years back, but are being managed by Issac and Cherri now and made it into a very reputable shop. 99% of my fish/corals/live rock came from the Seahorse.

In my mind, it goes:

Seahorse

Waves

Upscales

Not necessarily because of selection, but because of Customer Service. When I was starting my tank and literally knew nothing about reef tanks, Issac was the only one in town willing to actually talk to me and give me advice rather then sell me something.

I can second that seahorse recommendation. I don't go anywhere else. Isaac and cherri are the best, and pickle is great too!(rock2)

They will help you to do it right, even if it means they are gonna make less or no money. Oh and CA2OR, there is a fish there right now that may be something you like. A sailfin Blenny. looks like a lawnmower but it is a dark blue with some pale grey lines through its face. Very helpful with most types of algae and very funny personalities. I wanted to buy him but I have a blenny that it may not mix well with.

Yeah so far I am in the same boat. Even though I have had my tank for some time now' date=' I don't know much and have been having a difficult time finding resources out here. Except for Wanareef, he has been great.[/quote']

WOW - this is kind of a harsh statement. I honestly don't know why anyone would have a hard time finding good resources around here. When advice is given make sure it is taken. When you go into a shop and they suggest something they suggest it because they have a good reason...ask them to explain their reason.

Yeah so far I am in the same boat. Even though I have had my tank for some time now' date=' I don't know much and have been having a difficult time finding resources out here. Except for Wanareef, he has been great.[/quote']

What troubles have you encountered? What resources are you looking for?

Hey how do Jawfish and Lawnmower blenny's get along?

Should be fine I think. Different families, different food sources, they look different, both pretty peaceful. I always think about all those when I buy a fish. May or may not matter but I always expect the worst, so I think of thing like that. Double check before you pull the trigger though...

Like when you go to a shop and the owner suggest something and then the worker says the owner is wrong? which suggestion do I take there?

Why not ask more questions to understand WHY the person said that? I know if it were me I would be questioning both sources of information to see why the opinion varied...then making an educated decision as to which way to go. I wasn't there at the shop but Perhaps the worker was giving you his opinion, and not saying the owner was wrong? I don't know.

Good luck! How is the Xenia and green slimer doing? Did I give you some GSP as well, I don't recall?

Just started a thread to thank you for the Xenia. The slimmer is doing fine I think, hard to tell it is pretty small. That is not a complaint. The GSP is great. However all I hear now from my wife is(wife)(flame)(cussing)(censored) for getting rid of the rock I used to have. Again thank you very much. Gave you a bump on your rep too for that.(popcorn)

R-3: I am in the process of trying to upgrade to a 36g tank that I picked up. I really have no idea about how to do this, as far as plumbing, good skimmer to buy, building a stand and so on. I do get advice, I am not saying that no one here is a help. In all honesty I have recieved quite a bit of advice from here. But I have found it difficult even with some of the advice I have recieved to get some of these questions answered. But most of all, I could really use someone comming by and seeing what I have so I can get accurate advice or recommendations. Again, I thank each and everyone of the members of this site that have either offerred advice.

R-3: I am in the process of trying to upgrade to a 36g tank that I picked up. I really have no idea about how to do this' date=' as far as plumbing, good skimmer to buy, building a stand and so on. I do get advice, I am not saying that no one here is a help. In all honesty I have recieved quite a bit of advice from here. But I have found it difficult even with some of the advice I have recieved to get some of these questions answered. But most of all, I could really use someone comming by and seeing what I have so I can get accurate advice or recommendations. Again, I thank each and everyone of the members of this site that have either offerred advice.[/quote']

What I think is hard for most is that most people dont have time to respond to 400+ posts in the last week. Its kinda tough to devote that much time. I think usually the better way to get advice is read old threads, get into chat, and try to consolidate 10 posts into 1. Thats just my opinion.