Eunice worm removal

markdadof2

He will have a rock as a lair....there is no way to remove him except to remove him IN the rock. I've heard of hyper-salinity driving them out of the rocks though......which means you won't have to break up the rock. No trap will work.....or at least....I've never heard of one working and it never worked for me (they are just too long to completely enter a trap). My advice is to closely watch and determine his home base rock and remove that rock.

I had one in a rock. I had to completely remove the rock. I think (hope) I got the bugger. He was eating one of my most expensive corals when I saw him.

I took the whole rock out of the tank, then dipped it in fresh water for a day. Then I put it in hypersalinity for another day (just to see if anything would come out). I then put it in a tank by itself to let it cycle. I am just about ready to put that rock back in my tank.

BTW, the rumor is that the rock came from Steve Weast's tank when he tore it down. I don't know if it is the son of his Eunice worm or not...

dsoz

I removed the rock that I had seen the worm retract into several times....under the rock was a small cave that the brittle star used to live in (I'm guessing the worm chased him out - after the brittle star was missing a leg or two).

It was (of course) the largest rock in my nano but I broke it apart and found a few worms...one of which looks like part of the eunice worm, but it was kind of hard to tell. Guess I need to get a new chunk of LR. You should have seen the carnage under the rock (in the cave) - TONS of EMPTY shells...even my new turbo snail. I sure hope I got this guy for good. This dang thing has decimated my CUC - I wonder if there are any shops open today....