How to calculate weight of tank and strength of stand

CA2OR

You have to figure the amount of water to be used then figure displacement,weight of tank,rocks,sand,equipment on and in tank then do the math.

Your tank dimentions givin give you an empty water volume of 36.36 gallons , saltwater weighs approximately 63.6# to 64.3# per cubic foot depending on salt content, there are approx 7.4805 gallons in a cubic foot, giving you 4.8606376 cubic feet of water.Thats with nothing else in the tank.

As far as the stand goes 3/4 " plywood or a 2x4 frame should be more than sufficient.

I always estimate salt water at 10# per gallon. I did the math above and was only 30 pounds off. I was to heavier than the math. But dont forget its not just saltwater. Youll have the mass of everything else your putting in there too.

Ive built many a stand out of 2X4's they are plenty strong enough. I would expect the screws to fail before the wood as long as you build it correctly.

I built my own stand for a 30g some time ago. I used 1 2x4 at each corner with one extra in the middle of the back just for extra strength. There was a rectangle 2x4 frame on the bottom and top with a 3/8" sheet of plywood on top. I never put walls on it and it held great until we 86'ed it after 7 years(not because it was showing wear, because it wasn't) and put it on top of a wet bar like thing. If you built it the same way and put finish plywood around the outside with a large door in front it will hold FOREVER!!! (as long as you use screws:D)

I just got rid of it 2 months ago otherwise I would say you could have it...