When the moon hits your eye...

andy

Like a big pizza pie, that's amooooooooré

It's a full moon tonight, not to mention the tank's nitrates have dropped so of course all my trochus snails have decided to climb to the highest points in the tank and spawn like there's no tomorrow. I've had them pair off before, but never a mass spawn like this... water looks like someone dumped a gallon of milk in there.

I'm starting to run a fresh load of carbon and am keeping a close eye on the skimmer, any other suggestions for keeping things clean?

I've had snails spawn several times. Never got any growth out of anything but stomella's. Never had clams spawn for me.

Personally I would run my test kits to make sure everything is kosher, sometimes things spawn as a matter of preservation. If everything is good you got free coral food. I'd pay extra attention fora week or so IMHO.

JMO

I'm not really worried (now I've gone and done it... tempted fate) too much. The snails have been spawning for me for many months (just never all at once that I've noticed), I haven't had to buy a trochus snail in years -- there are always up and coming juveniles. The clam is the real surprise; it *is* a full moon tonight, and my NO3 *has* dropped by 50+ ppm in the past week. Ca, alk, pH, SG and temp are all fine... I tested this morning

Now I know where the baby trochus came from in my tank!! I bet it was a hitchhiker on one of the rocks you gave me. I hadn't had any trochus in my tank yet (not able to find them in stock when I ask for them at the LFS). All the sudden this tiny pencil eraser sized snail appeared in my tank. It's been a couple months now and the snail has grown so fast! It's very fascinating watching it appear and grow.

Now I know where the baby trochus came from in my tank!! I bet it was a hitchhiker on one of the rocks you gave me.

Sounds like you owe Andy another dollar. ;)

I have had events of massive esplosions of stomella's too, but they all died back in time to a reasonable amount. Same thing with fan worms.

JME