Mystery Wrasse and 4 line wrasse fighting

Handikapped

so i purchased a 4 line and a mystery wrasse yesterday at waves. i introduced them to my 55 gallon reef tank simultaneously. the 4line has since started to be an a$$hole and beating up on the mystery wrasse. i was told at waves that these two species were compatible? did i just get a really mean 4line and a timid mystery wrasse? im thinking of moving the mystery wrasse into my 29 gallon biocube with my blue spotted jawfish but i dont know how that would work out. any thoughts guys??

Well if it was me I would keep the mystery and kick the four line to the curb:D Four and six line can always be a problem. I have a six line now and it is ok towards other fish but if I throw a wrasse in there I know there would be problems. My old six line killed my cleaner shrimpDOH!

• 4 weeks later...

im sorry to report that due to incorrect suggestions by pet store the mystery wrasse died. after a bit of research i learned that mystery wrasse and other lined wrasses ARE NOT compatible, regardless of what a pet store employee says. i was under the assumption that said employee was good, guess he didnt know this one and it cost me 150 and an extremely cool fish.

dont give advice when u are uncertain(nono)

rant over

One thing Ive learned over the years that universal in fish and reefkeeping. When two species fight, the cheap one always wins. Unless your trying to reproduce the cheaper one, then it dies.

Doran

im sorry to report that due to incorrect suggestions by pet store the mystery wrasse died. after a bit of research i learned that mystery wrasse and other lined wrasses ARE NOT compatible, regardless of what a pet store employee says. i was under the assumption that said employee was good, guess he didnt know this one and it cost me 150 and an extremely cool fish.

dont give advice when u are uncertain(nono)

rant over

Hey handikapped' date=' sorry to hear about your loss. You should have bagged the dead fish and took it back asking why the other Wrasse killed him. Let them explain why they told you they would be ok together.[/quote']

i called the same day when i noticed trouble and again was told by same guy at waves that theyll be fine, so i cut the lights off the chill things out. woke up the next morning to a mystery wrasse with no tail and called the store again! i dont think ill be purchasing anything from waves for a long time after this....u literally killed my christmas

what i went through to save this fish

so i started puling abou 100lbs of live rock out to get him......evict my betta in his 1gallon critter cage to a 1 gallon mason jar.....put the mystery wrasse in a critter cage inside my 29 gallon.....he made it a day and a half, the tail injury was so bad he never swam, just sat inside a piece of pvc i put in there for him. then that was the end of him, he ate a few times some garlic enriched mysis but the injuries were too much...... that was my christmas present to myself and i had to flush christmas down the toilet

• 3 weeks later...
I guess you just have to chalk that one up to bad luck. Hope you don't repeat this. And I totally agree with your philosophy on when an expensive fish and a cheap fish fight. I have lost $90+ dollor chichlids to $4 ones. Very irritating.

maybe you should re-read the thread dude. was sold 2 fish that were supposed to be compatible asked before i bought them, called the store again once troubles started and was given an incorrect answer a second time. did a little research to find out that not only was the info at the store i was given complete crap, but i got a double dose of the crap! it is partly my fault for not doing enough research. but the big thanks for this debacle goes to waves, thanks for your advice i really do appreciate it costing me $150.

maybe its me, my feelings on this can only be described in another analogy : if you take your car to the mechanic and they do something wrong or give you the wrong advice theyll fix their mistake. but when it comes to saltwater the assumption is that it is all the customers fault.

maybe you should re-read the thread dude. was sold 2 fish that were supposed to be compatible asked before i bought them, called the store again once troubles started and was given an incorrect answer a second time. did a little research to find out that not only was the info at the store i was given complete crap, but i got a double dose of the crap! it is partly my fault for not doing enough research. but the big thanks for this debacle goes to waves, thanks for your advice i really do appreciate it costing me $150.

maybe its me, my feelings on this can only be described in another analogy : if you take your car to the mechanic and they do something wrong or give you the wrong advice theyll fix their mistake. but when it comes to saltwater the assumption is that it is all the customers fault.

Oh...I wasn't saying this was your fault. I am in total agreement with you. I too had an odd experience there. Not like yours but left me questioning things afterwards. Guess I have mixed feelings about Waves at the moment.