t5 bulb replacement

coralreefaquarist

ok so roughly 5 mabey 6 months ago i replaced all 8 of the bulbs on my teklight and now im kinda disapointed with the color i have softies and lps are great but i think switching a few over would really make a difference in the sps. i dont want to replace them all right now just 3 mabey 4 of them so the ? is. can i replace just 4 bulbs and write down the age of the bulbs and remember that the old 4 will need replacing 6 months before the new ones will need replaced. i know that when some bulbs get older that something in the color spectrum can change or something and you can loose color and get algae blooms or something. i dunno im talking jiberish probably and am worrying about it for nothing. is it ok to change 4 now and the old 4 later when there done. or is there a disadvantage to having half brand new and half used?

sorry for any confusion and wasted time

I have heard that the T-5 bulbs can go for 18 months. Not sure on that just what I have heard. I know some people change bulbs in cycles like you are talking about. It is little easier on the pocket book. I would think that changing a few at a time would be better for the corals, you are not hitting them with all new bulbs at one time and greatly increasing the intensity of the light they are receiving.

I think some pictures before and after the new bulbs would be great so we can see the color difference.

I change mine out over a couple of month time period. New bulbs are brighter than old ones, and having more light too quickly is not good for some corals.

Switching 4 now should be OK, and save the ones that you pull out to put back in later. Mark them with how long that they have been used.

I have also heard that you can use T5 bulbs for 18+ months. I changed 4 out of 6 bulbs at the 12-13 month mark, and have yet to change my actinic (18+ months for those). I have a pair of actinic to put in, just have not got around to it yet. It probably is time.

dsoz

I usually change out my t5's at the 6 month mark, i notice that they tend to shift in color. I run t5's and halides and have never noticed the corals responding in anyway but positive when i throw new t5's or mh's in. Thats just me and my opinion. I have also heard that t5's last for 18 + months, though I don't know how much truth there is to that. All i know is at 6 months actinic or aquablue or pure actinic, whichever, they all definitely shift in color/spectrum at the 6 month mark for me!! I do overdrive mine on a vho ballast so that may have something to do with it, but i have heard other people that switch theres out this often as well! I think that t5's are fine for the 18months, I just don't know how visualy pleasing that light will be after that long, but par values are probably still fine. There is some more rambling for ya haha