Design Large waterfall in tank (anyone do this before?)

Nyles

I am working on a project for a local business, they have asked me to build a tank with a large cascading waterfall over the top of a freshwater tank. I was hoping some of the more seasoned veterans here may have some experience in this, I was not able to find a single design on the web.

This unit will be a "simple" FRESHWATER system with a large pump pumping water up 60" through a custom designed spraybar that will spread water over a flat piece of glass and have the company logo embedded into the glass with a few lights. The tank lights will be T-5 embedded into a custom shroud that will be lit from the face of the tank not the top.

Now that you have a general idea of the design, here is my question, How dirty will the waterfall glass get with low load fish and will this be cost effective as far as cleanliness?

My thinking is once a week shut off pump and wipe down glass, but depending on fish load it could be more or less. Worst case if someone has experience on here I can design it so the water looks like it cascades into tank but is SEPARATED from the freshwater tank all together by running into an overflow box on the back and pumped into the spraybar there.

Any advice with experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I am going to start the blueprints this weekend, so time to chime in.

Run a google search on "paludarium waterfalls". http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=paludarium+waterfalls&btnG=Search

I have used both simple powerheads and plastic tubing, and canister filters for rock waterfalls in freshwater & brackish tanks. The maintenance has not been much more than with a regular tank. Weekly scrubbing with an algae pad should keep it clean. If it is an unplanted tank, you may want to use an algaecide. If you have live plants, you might consider using "Algae Fix" to cut down on algae growth.

No plants on this, I got more info today and the background will more than likely be a slab of 1" natural slate 60" h x 38" wide. so it can get a little dirty and nobody should notice. My other concerns are cleanability of the water fall diverter that will be on top to spread the water over the slate if it gets plugged and access points for some other things that will be in there like the lighting for the logo.

I think it was "that fish place" which sells an algae cleaning cloth for inside tank use. The cloth is embeded with a product that will inhibit the growth of algae for, they say, up to a month. It is safe for fresh or saltwater use and they even show a before and after pic. This would work good for inhibiting the algae growth on the glass panes between maintainence. I dont have the link handy but Im sure a little digging would find it.

Dennis

I have a 700 gallon pond in the back yard. I used 2" pvc pipe, capped on both ends with large holes drilled across the front. This "t'd" in to the output of the pump. It gives a nice even spread. Perhaps something like that can be used on a smaller scale if you could "hide" the plumbing.

Kris

I got the plumbing covered, I just need to verify algae issues. I Guess I can build it to drop into fish tank and if it becomes a big issue then I can design it so I can put a diverted plate at the bottom to catch water and run into a separate tank. Trial by error I guess.