Water Parameters

puntific

Guest LisaJill

I routinely test alk, calcium, magnesium, and nitrates. The first 3 I am trying to test every 1-2 weeks. Nitrates every 4 weeks or so, depending on the state of the tank. I tend to go by visuals more than tests for nitrates.

I am currently way behind on testing. =/ But I'll be picking it up as I just switched salt brands.

I use Salifert for my tests, and have a Pinpoint pH Probe for PH.

ph and temp daily

no3, po4, dkh, Ca and salinity monthly

I check mg about every 6 months, doesn't fluctuate so i see no need for regular testing.

I used to check weekly, even daily when i was first getting my ca and no3 reactor up and running, but now that things are dialed in a have switched to monthly. I use salifert test kits, and may switch to elos......i'll give you an answer to a question you didn't ask and tell you the params i shoot for. No3 .5ppm, Ph 8.3, Temp 77, po4 0ppm, dkh 9, Ca 420ppm, and salinity 35ppt

I check SG and temp daily.

CA, MG, ALK every two weeks.

Amm, No2, No3 maybe once a month.

I have salifert kits ususally but I will be try a new kit for MG soon. I also have a Tetra kit that I use to double check test every so often.

Heres what I shoot for:

1.025 SG

76-77 temp.

400-425 CA

1400-1500 MG

8-10 ALK

0 Amm., No2, No3

OK, my Alk and Mg test kit came today.

Ca Aquarium Pharm Inc kit: 320ppm

Mg Salifert kit: not yet tested <------ 900! hmmm. I think I will start here.

Alk Salifert kit: 10.2 dKH

1.215 SG

NO3 red sea kit: 10 ppm

PO4 Salifert kit: 0.25 ppm

pH Red Sea kit: 8.3

So it seems to me that my Ca is low and my Alk is high. What's the suggestion? I have not run my Ca reactor in over 2 years. I just bought Ca(OH)2 for making kalkwasser. Also, clearly my NO3 is too high. I have done two water changes and have started Vodka. I'm also raising my SG gradually. It dropped over 6 months or a year while I didn't pay enough attention.

Scott

ph and temp daily

no3, po4, dkh, Ca and salinity monthly

I check mg about every 6 months, doesn't fluctuate so i see no need for regular testing.

I used to check weekly, even daily when i was first getting my ca and no3 reactor up and running, but now that things are dialed in a have switched to monthly. I use salifert test kits, and may switch to elos......i'll give you an answer to a question you didn't ask and tell you the params i shoot for. No3 .5ppm, Ph 8.3, Temp 77, po4 0ppm, dkh 9, Ca 420ppm, and salinity 35ppt

...for those trying to figure out the "salinty 35ppt" ppt = Parts Per Table spoon. Just kidding! But I've never heard of anyone measureing salinity like that and it struck me funny....just a joke not trying to affend anyone

...for those trying to figure out the "salinty 35ppt" ppt = Parts Per Table spoon. Just kidding! But I've never heard of anyone measureing salinity like that and it struck me funny....just a joke not trying to affend anyone

lower case t is teaspoon... should have spent more time in home ec... DOH!

Hey folks,

The question of the day is... two parts...

1. What parameters to you routinely test for? Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium.

2. How often? Really depends on the alk reading. If this seems to change or, won't stabilize I go to magnesium.

3. What brand of test kit do you like for each test? (I lied about the two parts...)

Scott

My parameters are as follows.

SG 1.025

Temp. 82 deg.

Ca-450

Mg-1440 Parameters edited 11/04

Kh-9

PH 8.3

Nh3-0

No2-0

No3-0

Po4-0

PH,Temp, ORP displayed on controller

Weekly for Alk, Salinity

When I'm bored Phos,Calcium,magn

Test Kits, Tunze for Alk and Cal, Salifert for the rest (which IMO are worthless)

Parameters

Temp 77.5-79.5

PH 7.9-8.2 (maintained by kalk thru reactor)

Alk 9-10 dkh

Calcium 410

Mg 1400

Salinity 1.025 - refractometer

PH,Temp, ORP displayed on controller

Weekly for Alk, Salinity

When I'm bored Phos,Calcium,magn

Test Kits, Tunze for Alk and Cal, Salifert for the rest (which IMO are worthless)

Parameters

Temp 77.5-79.5

PH 7.9-8.2 (maintained by kalk thru reactor)

Alk 9-10 dkh

Calcium 410

Mg 1400

Salinity 1.025 - refractometer

Salifert is worthless or testing for anything else is worthless?