closed loop question

mister crabs

Ok so i just picked up an acrylic 60 gallon cube with external overfow box. going to run a mag 7 as my return but before I fill it for the first time im thinking of drilling it for 1 drain in the back and 4 returns for a closed loop. my questions are is a closed loop worth it for a non sps dominated tank or should I just stick with my koralias? and what pump would you reccomend for this? I was told around 1000 gph was what I should shoot for but looking for second opinions. thanks for input. will get pics up when I finish the stand and start the build. :D

I have seen them set-up and running with little maintanence for many years. Some are done very nicely and really make things look nice. That being said, I still wouldn't do it. I like the ability to have a bit more control of my flow. I also don't like to worry about leaks, clogs, overgrowth getting in the way, draining the tank, or reaching in areas way out of normal arm length.

Garrett

I just went with a closed loop. I personally like the clean look (so far) of no power heads. As for the build up...it will occur in EVERY piece of plumbing you have whether you like it or not (trust me when I say I have figured this out the hard way)! Pipes get down right stinky and slimy....closed loop, return, or overflow!

Kris

I don't see how the CL plumbing would get more clogged than your overflow and return plumbing??? How often do all of you clean your drain and return pipes?? I've never done it.

If you put the shutoff valves and unions in the right spots it would be very simple to clean those pipes.

I would go CL for the clean look. Powerheads are just as difficult to position the flow and take up room. I would make sure the input to the pump is twice the size of the outputs, ie 1.5" intake with 4 - 3/4" outlets.

Plus wouldn't you have to clean the powerheads anyway??

thats kind of why i wanted the cl. because i went to the trouble to get the overflow external to avoin any plumbing or distractions in the tank. I was going to put unions on each output from the pump. I was going to go with a 1.5 drain returned to four 3/4 return nozzles. I just need to figure out which pump to run.

+1 for the closed loop, poweheads, vortechs, tunze, (forgive me for saying this) they are all huge eyesoars and distract from natural beauty of a reef tank, grant4d i know they serve a purpose, use 2 koralias on my frag tank, but they would never ever make it into the reef, Furthermore i agree with miles, i don't see how they could clog up any faster than the rest of your plumping, which is not fast, and if they did clog up that fast then the same would happen to a powerhead in fact i regularly have to clean my koralia's as it is to compete with coralline algae, granted it is easier to to remove a powerhead than to disassemble a cl system, butit is still a pita. I say set it up correctly in the first place, with the correct amount of flow, whether you do that through a cl or an oceancs motions plumbed into your return, I just think there are prettier ways of getting maximum flow without cluttering up your tank with a bunch of powerheads. Don't hate me all you tunze and vortech diehards! I'm not saying they don;t serve a purpose, just that IMHO they are an eyesore

i looked at a dart and the only one i saw was over 300 bux and was like 2000 gph. any other decent pump suggestions? Im only looking to get about 1000 gph at most and that price is a little out of my budget. I may just set it up with the koralias for now as I am moving in 3 months and then I could drill and setup the CL while its drained. I want to get it setup soon cuz i am runninga 29g biocube with no skimmer or sump and want the benefits of a sump /true fuge.

I vote closed loop as well. and I vote for the (little brother of the dart) Snapper as a closed loop pump.

We spend all this time trying to make our tanks look good,, why not do it without putting a big box, or small football in the tank when you dont have too?

the Snapper does 2500gph but can be throttled back to 400gph safely.

why not choose a pump that has an amazing track record, runs almost silently, has an awesome warrantee, excellent customer service, all for a reasonable price that can be purchased locally for less than the minimum advertised price of $229.99?

Hey Mike you wanna place a bet to see if Steve W puts a loop on his next tank?

Hey Mike you wanna place a bet to see if Steve W puts a loop on his next tank?

No as I'm not a betting man!!

(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

I know he will. I'm just stating that his lost a lot of volume over time due to it. But on something that large you almost have to have a CL.