Trever's 125 gallon tank

Trever

After a couple months of work getting things together, I finally have my 29 gallon tank migrated over to a 125 gallon tank. Thanks mostly to Andy for all his help, guidance and advice (I could have never done it without his inspiration) and to my wife (I can't believe she let me get away with this).

So far I have the 125 gallon tank on a home-made stand which still needs some finish cabinetry. It's in progress but will take a while. I bought about 80 lbs of dried Eco Rox from bulk reef supply and was very pleased with the rock. Once I moved the 40 lbs or so of the rock I had in the small tank, I was pretty happy with the rock.

I made a home-made acrylic sump with refugium. Currently I'm running on some borrowed MH lights (thanks Andy!) on a timer power strip. I'm hoping to be able to add some Actinics soon.

Here are some pictures.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Yeah, you know. It started as a plan to go from 29 to 55. Then one of the LFS said, "If you're going to go 55, you should bump up to 70 or 90 to get the extra depth for aquascaping". Then as I was talking around, someone (Andy. ;) ) said, "If you're going to 90, you might consider just bumping up to 120ish..." Andy pointed me to the great deal on a used 125 tank so that's what I ended up with. I'm glad I did. It was a tremendous amount of work putting things together (getting the tank, cleaning it, building the stand and plumbing, etc). I am glad I went this route rather than another intermediate tank. We had just torn out a fireplace in our living room which made a perfect spot for the 6 foot tank.

• 3 months later...

Video tour of the tank after 5 months

I put together a little video tour of my tank after 5 months. The production quality is not the greatest. But some of you should recognize some of of the pieces in the tank. Lots of corals from Andy and Garrett, Jim. And you can even see the purple tang (covered in ich) that I'm treating. It's looking great now by the way in the QT.

Trever's Video Tank Tour - 3:36

• Like 1

Thanks. You know, from pictures I've seen of Anthias, I wasn't all that interested in the fish. But I'll tell you once I got one, she's one of my favorite fish in the tank. Such a beautiful fish with fine delicate details in the coloring. I just picked her up at Seahorse a couple weeks ago. I wish I had grabbed another one at the same time. They're such beautiful fish.