Questions about Clowns and Anemones

deans7269

I have a 75G 60" long reef tank. Its stocked with ten snails one 3" Blue tang, one 3 1/2 inch Six line Wrasse and one Two Spot Goby and 85 plus lbs of live rock with a few starter corals, that's it. I'm not in a hurry to stock it or anything. I'm wondering if its hard to find Clowns that live in Anemones? I would like to eventually add two clowns and one maybe two Anemones. Also if Anemones sting what effect will this have on my other fish? Especially the Blue Tang its just a baby. The Blue Tang follows the Wrasse around like its the mother. Its very cool!!

I will post pics when my algae problem is more under control. Again I have no time line for this I'm just wondering what I should be thinking about for the future.

Any advice here is much appreciated!

Thanks! Dean (scary);)(scratch)

Clowns are dumb! (no offense David Durr!) They will usually host anything but anemones. If you get some that are known to host an aneome, that is your best bet. They may be "taught" to host by a clown that is already hosting. But mostly it is hit or miss with the hosting business.

I have had a pair of clown for about a year and a half. Never once have they shown any interest in hosting an anemone, frogspawn, torch, hammer, bubble, or anything else except the wall of the tank.

I say it again. Clowns are DUMB! (but they are cute, and the kids love them)

dsoz

I've had a couple different maroon clowns and every one has hosted a minimum of 2 anemones at a time. Had one that hosted 4 at one time for a little while.(he was a player(laugh)) Never had any other clowns though, just maroons. If you are unsure, just get a clown that is already paired up with one. If the store doesn't have any then ask them to hold an anemone for you and put a clown/pair of clowns in with it for pairing while they hold it. If you already have an anemone make sure it is a type that most clowns will even go for. Then I would suggest getting a maroon as I've had nothing but good luck with them pairing up. Good luck:D

I think it depends on the type of clowns. As Dsoz stated his do not host in anything and I think he has some of Daves clowns. I know a few peolple with the tank raised clowns and none of them host anemonesDOH! I have had a maroon and aklso a small clarke and they both loved the nems and would not leave it. I also see alot of them at lfs hosting so I think it all depends on what type you get. I have a pair of black and whites and they host in a duncan as I do not have any anemones in the tank. Good luck with your choice.

Get a fire, tomato, clarkii or something along those lines...they seem to host immediately.

What I did was by accident, I had the fire clown separated from the tank because he was being a bully. I had him in this little compartment that hung inside the tank. I later received a rose anemone but couldn't find a suitable spot for him so I just stuck him inside the compartment with the clown. The clown was shy at first...but then it went up against the anemone and brushed it, and fell in love right after.

Guest LisaJill

I have tank raised clowns, and they host in a gigantic RBTA. I led them to the RBTA using food, one went in to get a piece of food, the other followed, and they haven't left since. This option gave them the ability to choose not to go in (if they got stung/needed to get used to the anemone); but they had no problems at all.