Good Protein Skimmer? BubbleKing 300

oxx155

I think those people who aren't satisfied are few and far between.

Having owned 2 of them, and a few other skimmers over the years, I think they are the best you can get. I mean I KNOW they are. They exceed all expectations in performance, reliability, and ease of use.

If you can get the 300 internal for 1200, buy it.

I thought that one sold already.

Yes, it would be quite a bit better than your G6. Or run it WITH your G6.

I would make sure it has the titanium shaft before buying and also ask for detailed pics of the pump/impeller.

I wouldn't run the two together, usually people get one that does all the work and one that is on and off with marginal skimming.

I wouldn't run the two together' date=' usually people get one that does all the work and one that is on and off with marginal skimming.[/quote']

Have you ever ran multiple skimmers on a big system?

I've seen(and maintained) plenty of systems running more than 1 skimmer. Steve Weast used to run 4 PM Bullet 3's on his 450g system. I maintained a 850g that ran a G6 along with 2 PM BulletXL's.

The BK300 could handle the 450g easily, but running both wouldn't hurt. Unless you're worried about electricity. The G6 runs 3 Sedra 9000's @ about 45w a piece. The BK300 runs about 58w.

Unfortunately before I could send him the money he sold it to someone else.

What is the best Protein Skimmer I could get for around $1,200? My 450 will have a pretty heavy bioload and I will have almost another 450 gallons in support systems (refugium and sump) but with low or no bioload in them.

I don't mind running multiple skimmers, but my room is limited and I would prefer not to add much more equipment.

Thanks

Are you worried about power consumption? If not, go with a Beckett skimmer (Precision Marine, MRC) you could pick up a MONSTER sized beckett skimmer with a pump for less than 1K.

Have you seen the Cone style skimmers? ATB did have the market cornered for the last year or so, but Warner Marine is just about to release their line of cone shaped skimmers and I think they're going to be hard to beat. Very low wattage for the capacity these skimmers can handle. Either those skimmers or find another used BK. I saw one sell yesterday in about 30 minutes after the seller posted it. It was a BK300 int and he sold it for 900.

What is the footprint of the sump space you have for your skimmer? Have you considered an external skimmer?

Got a pic of your sump room?

Are you worried about power consumption?

Not really, but at the same time if I don't have to waste than I don't want to.

If not, go with a Beckett skimmer

I have gotten mixed reviews about Becketts. Many people have described them as very difficult to break in and operating at best efficiency. I was forwarded to this beckett http://www.marinetechnical.com/page2.html, but I worry about the air intake and fiddling with it for max efficiency, how do I tell how much air to add or not.

What is the footprint of the sump space you have for your skimmer? Have you considered an external skimmer?

My sump is 2' x 6'. I can also build a platform for the skimmer to be above the sump.

I have considered an external skimmer and that is not out of the question (even though I worry about overflow).

Someone referred me to a ReeFlo Orca 250 Pro (http://www.reefspecialty.com/Protein-Skimmers-Reeflo/c21_45/p253/ReeFlo-Orca-250-Pro-Kit/product_info.html)

I like the look of the ReeFlo and really am impressed with Sequence Pumps in general. But I also like the look of the BubbleKings.

I actually have up to $1,500 to spend.

I also need a good 1HP Chiller. Every time I find a good used one online it sells before I can get my hands on it.

PM Sent about 1HP

I am seriously thinking about the Orca 250 Pro with Needlewheel and maybe still running my ASM G-6 for extra skimming power.

I am thinking about draining the overflows from the tank straight into the skimmers - Is that a good idea?

I'd hold off on the Volcano for now. Those are even worse than dialing in beckett.

The reeflo was my next suggestion. Well built, and they skim like a champ.

It should double what your G6 is pulling out.

If you can find another Bubble King at a good used price go for it.

A lot of people at ReefCentral are pushing the Becketts, saying best bang for my buck (unless I had unlimited bucks).

But, everyone says different types of Becketts, what is the consesus around here?

Or is that Reeflo Orca really superior to any Beckett and I should spend the little extra on it? (well I shouldn't say little, an extra $500 or so)

Opinions appreciated

The medium ATB cone is right at $1200' date=' but might be a bit small for your system. The large one is two grand. Supposed to be a smoking hot skimmer though. IIRC, H2OEng and Uhuru had the small ones and loved them.[/quote']

I have the small one Uhru had and can not say anything bad about the ATBs if I was to do a big system I would spend the extra dough and go with the ATB again. Just my 2 cents good luck!

I love the ATB(rock2) Hell only running it on a total volume of about 45 to 50 gallons so it is so over skimmed its pathetic. Will take a pic of the cup if I can find the camera and show you the good stuff:D

Oh and a side note Uhru is starting another system in Ohio and he purchased the medium ATB.

Did you find one?

I know Victor at ATB would make you a deal :)

Heres a decent deal on a H&S. Would definetely be big enough. Probably could get him down some if you picked up.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39708

Haven't found one yet, but I am also pretty busy getting ready to sell my livestock, so haven't looked as much.

Thanks though I am still definitely looking

Contact this guy and see if its pending!! One hell of a deal!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1496038

Its now pending for someone else. I just don't see how that does better than my ASM G-6, same similar design and mine even has more pumps and more air flow right now. Why are H&S considered good?