Bottoms Up!

andy

I have been using "sugar" as well and have not seen any decreases so far, am testing as we speak. I am getting a ton more skimmate and it is quite stinky!

55 gal tank.

Days 1-7 1/2 teaspoon No dramatic changes

Days 1-3 increased to 1 teaspoon..Maybe a small change but Nitrites and Nitrates still high! And since I use the seachem (still) it is hard to put an exact # on it.

Ammonia still non-existent

I am still thinking about the kalk and vinegar treatment. Perhaps this will help. Also, if no real results with sugar, then I will switch to vodka.

Kris

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I will keep up with the carbon dosing. I don't have room under my tank for more equipment!

Scott

When you get there it will be worth it. I speak of experience on this one. I have actually done and been doing this for some time, it's not just something I have read about or tried once or twice.

Still to each there own there are a thousand and one ways to have a great tank, Matt has great success with his system too.

Yeah' date=' that's what I'm thinking. I can build the reactor for next to nothing, and the media is available by the pound at [url']http://www.midwestaquatic.com/PRODUCTS/HPS_PEARLS.htm[/url]

For maybe $30 out of pocket, I can be nitrate-free. Matt, what pump do you feed your reactor with?

I t'd off my return line for the ca reactor and the no3 reactor, more than enough flow. Both reactors also use an eheim pump for circulation within the reactor.

i'm just giving you a hard time kevin :D i'm just to lazy and forgetfull to remember to dose sugar once or twice a day haha.

I couldn't do once or twice a day either, but Sunday nights (my friday ) are easy enough to remember. ;) I only dose once a week to keep the nitrates in check.

No worries on the hard time my man. I dish it out often enough. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Too bloody long, six weeks now. To be fair to the method, the published protocol is far too conservative in it's carbon dosing; if I was still following it, I would expect to see an NO3 drop sometime around mid-2016

Yeah' date=' wimps ;)[/quote']

Speaking of wimps, I seem to recall someone saying to start with more and double the dose every three doses. . . (whistle) ;);)

Glad to hear it is working. Now that you got them to drop you might not need to dose everyday. I found once a week works fine for my needs now. JME

listen to this guy :eek: (laugh)(laugh). Well what do you know kevin does know what he's talking about go figure :D.

Sounded less arrogant last night after a few.

It is the first time I've ever been right, I just had to point it out for the occasion. ;)

'll never doubt you again.

(laugh)