Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime - where to find?

Guest LisaJill

Kris,

I am unfamiliar with the product success calk, but looking at the website for it, it claims to be an alternative to Kalk (Calcium Hydroxide). I would assume that as long as it list Calcium Hydroxide as the main ingredient you should be okay. Hopefully someone on here has better info than me.

I just go with Mrs. Wages as it is cheap and availabe at the local wally world. Before dripping Kalkwasser I was having a hard time keeping my PH up, and, I don't have my charts in front of me, but my calcium and ALK would swing all over the place. I was trying to add PH buffer and calcium additives and I just couldn't get my levels to calm down.

After researching the above article and much more on the subject of dripping Kalkwasser I decided to give mixing the vineger and pickling lime a shot. I found that the biggest container I could fit under my 55 was a half gallon jug and coverted all the numbers for that. My params are all right on, and I haven't seen a swing since I started using it.

I am by no means a chemist, I barely passed it in school, but I have am a huge fan of dripping Kalkwasser. All of the above is just based on my reading and experience with it. :D

Shane

I am sooo interested in this. Question? Is all Kalkwasser (calcium chloride) the same as far as concentration? I have a tub of success calk and wanted to use it in this process.

Kris

Kalkwasser is calcium hydorxide. Can someone look on their Mrs. Wages and tell me if it's calcium hydroxide or calcium chloride? I need to add calcium chloride to my tank as it turns out... not Ca(OH)2.

Scott

Success calk is made by Red Sea and states it is an alternative to kalkwasser or calcium chloride. It is a calcium and bicarbonate mix. I bought it to kill majonos with...it didn't work on that either!

I will am going to start off the bat with the kalk drip in the new tank. This until I can afford a reactor. I just want to make sure I am using the correct stuff.

Kris

Do you have "Success Calcium"? I can't find any mention of "Success Calc" at the Red Sea website.

Success Calcium is just a calcium supplement, no carbonate component. AFAIK, there really isn't a replacement product for kalk/quick-lime -- it's cheap, easy and very effective.

This stuff?

No idea, I guess I'd just follow the directions if I was using it -- it isn't kalk. Doesn't seem to show up at Red Sea website, maybe discontinued?

That be it, and with out exact info on it, I may toss it and try to get a hold of some Mrs Wage's.

Did you buy a bunch? Are you going to be at Dennis' this weekend?

Kris

Walmart....I havent been in one in years. I can remember when they came to Moses Lake when I was liveing there. The locally owned hardware store went bust as well as the lumber yard, about 3 clothing stored in the downtown area. Even kmart which was across the street closed. Nice of them to replace all those profitable bussinesses where the owners and employees spent their money locally and had nice middle class lives and replace them with empty buildings and store fronts that closed and provide us with all those minimum wage jobs and send all the profits out of state to provide them with more money to build more walmarts in other nice middle size towns close down more small bussiness. Who needs those good paying jobs anyway. Everythings cheap at walmart..........aaarrrggghhh ......sorry guys I will step down from my soap box now : (

Jay

I just couldnt help it....I tried not to....but had to post this