Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime - where to find?

Guest LisaJill

Guest LisaJill

Anyone found any of this pickling lime locally? Around the Hillsboro area. I'd like to start dripping kalk but none of the shops I've been in have ever heard of this. Tried Whole Foods, New Seasons, and Fred Meyers so far.

Unless they have changed the display set up, from the main entrance go left down main isle, it was the first perpindicular isle before the food section where all the canning stuff was located. I believe bottom shelf next to the canning jars. I haven't been in there since then so I hope it is still there. Tell you what I'll swing by on the way home and let everyone know.

Shane

I add 1 tbsp Mrs. Wages with 3 tbsp white distilled vinegar and mix with RO/DI water in a half gal jug and let sit until settled and drip 1 drop about every four seconds from my home made Kalkwasser dispenser. Because I evporate so little I use this as part of my make up water. I make it up every couple of days or so, and my parameters rock steady. Oh and I use Instant Ocean.

Shane

PS: If you are wondering about the Distilled White Vinegar the link is here:

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html

Guest LisaJill

Ooh, thanks Kris. That's perfect.

I'm going to use it for a kalk drip, probably as part of the make up water. I evaporate about between half gallon and a gallon a day, so I think I can work this out pretty well.

No problem and thanks Shane for that informative article. Of course the chemistry was a little fuzzy (it has been a few years for me since chem and organic chem) but it was informative. The goal to educate myself further about Kalk and alkalinity has just gotten a great start. I love the information about how this recipe can also help convert Nitrates in to Nitrogen gas...

The research begins...and I hope to pick up some salifert test kits...does Waves or Upscales sell them? What am I saying, I am sure one or both do!

Kris

I just checked the Wallyworld on 192nd in Vancouver -- Mr. Wages for $2.00 per 16 oz. container (on sale, they're rolling back the prices!). That's a great price, you can't beat it even on the internets. It's on the same aisle as the tupperware-style stuff.

I bought three and will probably go back for more.

Yeah' date=' I felt dirty Matt. But dirty with a few extra bucks in my pocket is something I can live with these days :([/quote']

Yea like is said I understand. They just have to much buying power. Imagine the price cuts our lfs would get if they pooled their orders toegther, even if it was just dry goods, and say they did it just once a year and stocked up, then their wholesale prices my actually be lower then fosters retail!!!

boooooo walmart boooooooooo.....i understand the reason for shopping there but boooooooooooooooooooo

Make sure and discuss the quality of salifert test kits with joel when you head in there. I'm switching mine to elos based on recent information brought to my attention seen here http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9061

Thanks for the link on the thread! I will definately discuss this with Joel.

Kris

• 3 weeks later...
I add 1 tbsp Mrs. Wages with 3 tbsp white distilled vinegar and mix with RO/DI water in a half gal jug and let sit until settled and drip 1 drop about every four seconds from my home made Kalkwasser dispenser. Because I evporate so little I use this as part of my make up water. I make it up every couple of days or so, and my parameters rock steady. Oh and I use Instant Ocean.

Shane

PS: If you are wondering about the Distilled White Vinegar the link is here:

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html

I am sooo interested in this. Question? Is all Kalkwasser (calcium chloride) the same as far as concentration? I have a tub of success calk and wanted to use it in this process.

Kris