One way valve for return line?

AquaticEngineer

Do not use a check valve, you will regret it. I can tell you more horror stories regarding them than you care to hear. Drill a hole for siphon break at the top of water level and you should be good to go, plus a check valve has quite a bit of head pressure not only the reliability issue.

So generally though with that setup you dont get very much water coming out of the small hole though right? Since water will take the path of least resistance it should be coming almost completely out of the larger output of the return, right?

And if you drill it so it is barely below the water line you shouldn't get any air being pulled in making the hole act like a venturi, right?

Thanks, I see how that works for an over the side return. But what about a drilled through the wall return? Does it mean you need to put the return hole close to the waterline, and drill a hole in whatever you have coming out of the bulkhead (LocLine bits, in my case)?

Thanks,

Darrell

On my tank, I kept the return pretty high on the back wall, and made sure the sump had enough free capacity to hold the water that would siphon back down. I think that's a pretty important detail... siphon-break holes can get covered with crud, coralline, a snail with the worst timing in the world, that kind'a thing; leaving enough room in the sump is good insurance.