Lighting a 10g coral quarantine tank?

Guest LisaJill

Guest LisaJill

Hey guys,

What is the absolute cheapest option that would meet SPS and clam level lighting requirements for up to 8 weeks in quarantine? This is in a small 10 gallon tank, so hopefully I won't need to spend a ton on this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

power compacts for SPS??? i dont really think power compacts are worth much to be honest. VHO will sustain the corals, but they tend to color shift to an unnatural color. it is very frustrating when buying corals from someone with VHO and the corals change colors when they get in your tank again. for a QT it might be fine. i would say t5 or 70w metal halide. your halide is the best bet to be honest. just go with a 10k bulb. high PAR, you dont really care what color the water appears in QT anyways.

There are a lot of plans for a DIY 70w MH out there. You need a ballast, a halogen shop light, and a new bulb. Then you are set. It runs about $50-70 for the whole setup.

Check out nano-reef.com for plans. search for the DIY 10w light. You should be able to come up with something.

dsoz

Edit- here is a link http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16346&hl= It used to have pictures, but they have been removed since it was written. So sad.

I QT for about 8-10 weeks, so i like to keep the color of my corals in QT. The 70w MH accomplishes this very nicely, and even helps color up corals that maybe come in browned out IME.

Here is my DIY thread for making a QT tank from scratch. It shows how I did my 70w MH

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=570&highlight=diy+qt+tank+from+scratch

Guest LisaJill

Yes, this will be 8-10 weeks; quarantining both for coral diseases as well as any fish parasites that may be on the corals. If I'm going to quarantine, I figure I should quarantine everything. I hate it, but there it is. =)

Thanks for the link, impur, and the nano-reef info. Sounds like a good way to go.