looking for pods

lulabulla

If you want to add some directly to the tank, you can buy live "tigger pods" at some lfs, including Waves in Tualatin.

Or, you can get someone to give you a handful of their chaeto or other macroalgae out of their sump. It will probably have some with it, which would multiply in your refugium (if you have one). I have extra chaeto if you want some (as do a lot of other folks - depends on what part of town you're in, but you can probably find some nearby).

If you want to add some directly to the tank, you can buy live "tigger pods" at some lfs, including Waves in Tualatin.

Or, you can get someone to give you a handful of their chaeto or other macroalgae out of their sump. It will probably have some with it, which would multiply in your refugium (if you have one). I have extra chaeto if you want some (as do a lot of other folks - depends on what part of town you're in, but you can probably find some nearby).

im in hillsboro...

they are eating cyclopee, but i wanted to add veriety as well...

(sorry the multi quote thing didnt work :))

i havent finished my fuge in the back of my tank ( i have biocube) and i have the chaeto in the tank and if i add pods, will they have a chance to multiply before they get eaten? (i only have 2 pipes in there)

lulabulla - you may want to make this next PNWMAS Meeting at Dave Durr's place this Sunday in Vancouver.

I'm sure Dave could give you some live rotifers. Our guest speaker will be Randy Reed of Reef Nutrition. He will no doubt bring samples of his Company's prepared and live food products.http://www.reefnutrition.com/

If you would like to receive Evite notifications of upcoming PNWMAS Meetings & Events, please send me a PM with your e-mail address, and you will be added to the Evite list!

What species of pipefish? Not all pipefish need to feast on pods, many do far better with larger food like frozen mysis. Since your pipefish is wild caught it may need to be trained onto frozen foods. If you do not know the species post a pic and I will help you out.

If you do have a refugium you can provide extra treats during the course of the day, which is never a bad thing. A pipefish has a digestive track that does not include a stomach, so it's not like they can get to much food, well to much for them, over feed and your tank will tell you.

I also have free chaeto filled with pods in Beaverton that you are welcome too.

HTH

Make a "pod pile" in your tank. A small pile of rubble that the fish cannot swim into, but the pods can crawl through the cracks and holes. It gives them a safe place to grow and multiply. Then when they over populate the pile they migrate to outside the pile and the fish can get lunch.

I have a couple of places in my tank where I have a pile of small rocks that seem to add to the pod population.

dsoz

Make a "pod pile" in your tank. A small pile of rubble that the fish cannot swim into, but the pods can crawl through the cracks and holes. It gives them a safe place to grow and multiply. Then when they over populate the pile they migrate to outside the pile and the fish can get lunch.

I have a couple of places in my tank where I have a pile of small rocks that seem to add to the pod population.

dsoz

You can also put a cage over the pile. Like the thing strawberries come in. This way the fish cannot pick at the outside of the pile.

What species of pipefish? Not all pipefish need to feast on pods, many do far better with larger food like frozen mysis. Since your pipefish is wild caught it may need to be trained onto frozen foods. If you do not know the species post a pic and I will help you out.

If you do have a refugium you can provide extra treats during the course of the day, which is never a bad thing. A pipefish has a digestive track that does not include a stomach, so it's not like they can get to much food, well to much for them, over feed and your tank will tell you.

I also have free chaeto filled with pods in Beaverton that you are welcome too.

HTH

They are dragonface pipefish. i only have 2 of them in my tank with a cleaning crew. they seem to love the pods in there, i pulled out some lrr from the back chamber and put it into the tank (is that bad?) and they hung out by it for quite a while snicking up anything they could. they eat frozen too, but i think if they have live they prefer that :)... go figure...lol

how do i get in touch with you? thanks

I would be feeding dragon faced pipes frozen mysis. I prefer PE because of the nutritional values (more protein, less fat) then other brands. They should be fed at least once a day, twice is better if your water quaility can hang with it. Each should eat between 4-6 shrimp per meal.

Live is just a treat for them, they need to eat the frozen to live a long life.

If you can feed them twice a day, I usually do a fast day one day a week and feed out live brine that I gut load with various things including B12, C, and Beta Glucan.

Easiest way to get a hold of me is to call. 714 757 3943. You can also PM me here.

HTH

how do i get in touch with you?

Find a post from a person that you want to send a message to, and click on their name (on the left side, above the picture). A drop-down menu will appear, and choose the option that you want. Usually it is send a private message (PM), or you can choose email (if that person enabled it).

dsoz