PFO Discontinues MH and VHO??

Smann

So where have I been, just went to PFO's website and saw they will only carry Solaris led lighting for distribution. After reading the info I was sold until I looked at the prices!!. Who the ..... is going to pay 2700.00 for a 48" and 4000.00 for a 72"??. They say its comparable to 400w MH maybe if I do the math from running MH for 6+ years I can convince my wife we'll save money(whistle)

The cool thing is they actually assemble the Solaris units in Vancouver.

I'm seriously considering a 14" unit, which should be between a 150 and 250 W MH. It cost about 3x what a MH does, but if I factor in not needing a chiller, separate moonlights, light controller, annual (at least) bulb replacements, and energy savings, it does pay for itself pretty quickly.

They may be made in USA, but I have heard they are very poorly constructed. I dont know from personal experience, but I know a lot of people are complaining about electrical connections failing and having lights go out. Nothing like having a $4000 fixture stop working, and how do you fix it? I dont know. Every light is soldered, not just regular old wires and sockets any more.

It just seems a pretty bold move to get out of a solid market (MH @ VHO) unless they think the T5's are going to take over. How big of a tank can you light with the 14" maybe a 24" or ? for 950.00 doesnt sound like an entry level tank to me

It just seems a pretty bold move to get out of a solid market (MH @ VHO) unless they think the T5's are going to take over. How big of a tank can you light with the 14" maybe a 24" or ? for 950.00 doesnt sound like an entry level tank to me

14" fixture will light a 14" tank...there is NO spead in light. It's not like a VHO or MH the 24"Solaris I tested 15 inches off the water spread the light 24.5".

According to their site, the spread is about equal to the height above the bottom:

http://www.solarisled.com/FAQTechnical/SolarisLightSpread/tabid/64/Default.aspx

So the 14" light, which has one grid of 30 leds, ought to cover my planned 20 x 20 x 20 cube.

According to the data sheet, the light spread is 40 degrees:

http://www.solarisled.com/Portals/0/Solaris%20I5%20Datasheet.pdf

Note that this will leave dark areas along the top edges, but I don't plan to put anything up there anyway.