Today is the Day!

Michael7979

Shoulda been there first few hours were nuts thanks everyone you made it a great show we will be back next year if they do it again and plan on lot's of new goodies as we will be starting now to get things ready for next year I',ve decided to make a special frag tray just for the cfm so stuff is ready way ahead of time at both our locations so less stress lol.

I have to say that this is the first 1 that I have gone to and boy was I disappointed! $15 just to get in about $30 in gas to get there and there is a better selection of coral at waves!!! or Upscales which are near my house!!! By the time you are paying for entry fee $15-$30' date=' plus gas I should have just went over and visited Joel!!!! I was expecting more venders and more a little more selection. Maybe next year will be better.........(bored)[/quote']

Not sure when you got there but I found with us most of our prime stuff was gone in first to hours of show so if you showed up late I can see why you may have been dissapointed.

And if you stay and help us pack up you get even more free stuff(clap) thanks again bud

Yes, stay to the end, and you get all the good deals on coral that the vendors don't want to take home with them.

I spent less money, and got more stuff this year than I did last year.

dsoz

And if you stay and help us pack up you get even more free stuff(clap) thanks again bud

No problem! There was nobody at my house to go home to until later, and I had nothing better to do. After you left, I went over and helped the guy from AWExotics pack up, and he also gave me a neon toadstool ( but not as nice as the one you gave me). That makes three for my tank! The one you gave me has the loooooong polyps. Is that the ORA or the Tyree?

dsoz

Tankit

I think that the biggest draw for me to this event was "farmers market". I came ready to spend money and support west coast coral farming. Anything I can get that is farmed is one less thing that gets ripped out of the ocean! It costs money and time to farm coral and last time I checked coral farmers weren't making millions. So i have no problem whatsoever paying fair price for a nice coral. The benefit is 3-fold one I get that special piece I have been oogoling over, 2 I help prevent wild harvest of corals that are already in propogation, and lastly I'm putting dinner on someones table not financing wild harvest of coral. It was about more than selection and vendors. I will say that every vendor was there that I expected. They were all listed weeks beforehand on thw nw-cfm website. As far as selection goes wow there was lots of stuff that I'm yet to see in any portland area lfs's, and I frequent most of them. I will agree our lfs do have a great selection and for that we are blessed, but just like upscales has stuff you can't get at waves and waves has stuff you can't get a upscales, etc. etc. certain vendors had certain things that other vendors didn't and that our lfs's didn't. Combine them all and your in reefer heaven. I guess IMHO I think we should support events like this and not bash them. Because you see if it is promoted it gets more popular, more people coming appeals to more vendors, vendors bring more corals, prices go down as sales quantity increase. By bashing and complaing you enter a negative thought into someones mind who may have been considering attending next year and won't now because of your comment, and by saying that you achieve the exact opposite of what you want. Sorry i'll step down from my soap box now. I guess I just don't quite understand what you were expecting.

First of all I have a question..... Didn't aqua cultured coral once come from the wild? Maybe a frag way back but it still had to have come from the wild right???

I am all for helping support our local farmer and helping save the reefs by growing out our own corals and fragging them to off for sale or trade. I think a CFM is a great idea but I do not ever remember paying more than about $10 for any fair, circus, or carnival to get in and most farmers markets do not charge you an entry fee! I think $30 at the door to get is rediculous!!!! and $15 is a bit much. I was diappointed in how small it really was. I know how much work goes into getting those frags ready for sale believe me I do! I helped Scott at Reef Corals for 2 days fragging and then bagging up corals to get him ready for this event!

I guess I was just expecting that with how much work goes into all of it, the CFM would be a bigger event like an expo or something. Why can't we make it bigger next year??? I really think we should be able to include a lot more aspects of reef keeping. We should sell booths to people who want to make their own equipment and such, sumps, overflow boxes, skimmers, etc...... We should allow some of the local companies such as Envision to be there talking about his tanks he build if he wants to. It should be all about reefs by all means but why not encorporate more stuff as well..... People who have lare tank and want to sell/trade frags from their own tanks.......??????

I was just disappointed because I had visions of something larger I guess, something that it could be!!!!! I really think the possibilities should be discussed at the upcoming meeting and lets work on planning a blowout sized event for next year!!!! And really get the word out to all over!! send flyers to local stores as well as stores across the northwest. I know there are events such as this in cali. and else where but we should make this a big event for PNWMAS and other local area clubs to bring people into all aspects of reefing!!!! I will pass on my soap box now and I am sorry if I came off as B@%*#, and offended anyone.................DOH!

This event WAS larger than last year. The first one only had 4 real coral selling vendors. Tyree, Scott, AWExotics, and Ryan's shop (I think Sunlight shared a booth with Ryan showing off lighting).

This year they added the ricordia seller, and TEC. Next year, if you want to see vendors like you mentioned show up, then you should ASK them if they are going to have a booth. The more that they hear our interest, the more likely that they would show up (and donate door prizes/raffle items).

I agree that expanding it would be great. Art Pettit (?) would talk about the "Ontario show" (I assume the one in SoCal) and they have over 500 people show up to that one. This one is a smaller show, with a smaller population base to draw from. But it IS growing.

I think that if anyone in the club wanted to spend the time making frags from stuff that grew in their tank, and they wanted to rent a booth, they would be able to do it. Maybe 3-4 people can start planning to join in the fun next year. I noticed that most people were hanging around the tanks with the nicest stuff, and the best prices. I am sure that a few hobbyists could get together and come up with some really nice stuff at prices that could not be beat because of the no overhead.

I know that it true that at some point ALL corals came from the ocean. But there is a point where they have been grown out and fragged, and grown out and fragged, and grown out and fragged again that they become "aquacultured." This is the point were we as hobbyists need to start looking for pieces to go into our tanks. I can foresee a future were there will be no more wild caught corals, and everything that we get will be tank-raised. It will be a sad day, and people will need to start caring for their stuff better. A simple tank crash now is a disappointment, but think of the devastation that it will be when the stuff is not replaceable. This type of market is the first step in the right direction. There were rules for vendors about what type of corals could be displayed, and how far removed from the ocean the pieces had to be.

I showed the pictures of what I got there on NR.com, and there were a couple of people that went nuts wanting one of these shows near them. One even found out that there will be one in Dallas (4 hour drive for him) later this year, and he said he was already making plans to go to it with a big wad of cash. Maybe Jody needs to sign up for that show too.

Did none of you stop by the Reef Corals booth? I saw all the other booths mentioned. Reef Corals did have the largest selection of corals out of the entire show' date=' plus lots of small colonies. I know i had to bag them all! lol[/quote']

I went by, but my tank is more for the LPS corals, and he didn't have a lot of them. What he had looked good, but I have some tank issues to deal with before spending lots of money on SPS. I knew that TEC had a lot of LPS, so that is where I was at most of the day.

dsoz

This event WAS larger than last year. The first one only had 4 real coral selling vendors. Tyree, Scott, AWExotics, and Ryan's shop (I think Sunlight shared a booth with Ryan showing off lighting).

This year they added the ricordia seller, and TEC. Next year, if you want to see vendors like you mentioned show up, then you should ASK them if they are going to have a booth. The more that they hear our interest, the more likely that they would show up (and donate door prizes/raffle items).

I agree that expanding it would be great. Art Pettit (?) would talk about the "Ontario show" (I assume the one in SoCal) and they have over 500 people show up to that one. This one is a smaller show, with a smaller population base to draw from. But it IS growing.

I think that if anyone in the club wanted to spend the time making frags from stuff that grew in their tank, and they wanted to rent a booth, they would be able to do it. Maybe 3-4 people can start planning to join in the fun next year. I noticed that most people were hanging around the tanks with the nicest stuff, and the best prices. I am sure that a few hobbyists could get together and come up with some really nice stuff at prices that could not be beat because of the no overhead.

I know that it true that at some point ALL corals came from the ocean. But there is a point where they have been grown out and fragged, and grown out and fragged, and grown out and fragged again that they become "aquacultured." This is the point were we as hobbyists need to start looking for pieces to go into our tanks. I can foresee a future were there will be no more wild caught corals, and everything that we get will be tank-raised. It will be a sad day, and people will need to start caring for their stuff better. A simple tank crash now is a disappointment, but think of the devastation that it will be when the stuff is not replaceable. This type of market is the first step in the right direction. There were rules for vendors about what type of corals could be displayed, and how far removed from the ocean the pieces had to be.

I showed the pictures of what I got there on NR.com, and there were a couple of people that went nuts wanting one of these shows near them. One even found out that there will be one in Dallas (4 hour drive for him) later this year, and he said he was already making plans to go to it with a big wad of cash. Maybe Jody needs to sign up for that show too.

I went by, but my tank is more for the LPS corals, and he didn't have a lot of them. What he had looked good, but I have some tank issues to deal with before spending lots of money on SPS. I knew that TEC had a lot of LPS, so that is where I was at most of the day.

dsoz

Couldn't have said it better myself