40 Breeder tank....

Benny503

I saw a topic in here and other forums talks about buying 40B, almost everybody want to buy at 40B for their next project. I am just curious what is a 40B? and what so special about it? Not like I am going to convert my new setup tank to 40B but I just want to know.... please let me know... Thanks.

It is a good size for a tank. Not too big, nor too small. It is very shallow, so there is good light penetration all the way to the bottom. It has almost a square footprint so a light is not wasted from being narrow front to back. Also when viewing, it gives a perception of "depth".

Also the aquascaping possibilities are greater. When you have a narrow tank, all you can do is a "wall of rock" When it is deep like that, you can do coves, islands, and other ways to make the rock more interesting.

Also, I don't think that it has a center brace. It helps with having only one MH light to not have the center brace. Then you don't get shadows, and the light can be centered over the tank. If a tank has a center brace, then you need to get two MH lights, one for each half.

dsoz

Fyi, the all-glass version isn't tempered and has no brace. The "perfecto" version has a brace and also has the bottom tempered. The 40 breeder is sorta like a smaller 75 gallon. Good front to back depth, but shallower than a lot of aquariums.