ATO question....

mister crabs

So I am going out of town for a week and need to get an ATO. I am ordering the JBJ unit and it says i need a pump to run it. anyone running one of these? what pump do I use? I got to pump up about 4-4.5 feet into the tank. I was thinking a maxijet 900. will this be ok? thanks! (scratch)

Not exactly sure but I saw a bio cube 29 with 3 aqua lifters on it. 2 were used for the two part dosing and they were in the stand going to the rear compartments. The third was about 6 feet away on the floor with a five gallon bucket for top off. So I think you are pretty safe to use them. I know they are real slow but work good for what they are intended for.

ok sweet. i will order one then. Im going to use a rubbermaid container that I can put 10 gal in. thinking about tossing a mj1200 in there to mix up some kalk in the future too. but my 2 part has worked well so far. Just too much evap for me. I evap a gallon or a gallon and a half every day. but theres 0% humidity here and its 108 degrees this time of year. plus halide with open top doesnt probably help. lol

For kalk in the ato, you don't want to continue mixing it after you add it. You only need the periodic mixing on a kalk reactor. Just add 1 - 2 tsp kalk per gallon of top-off water, mix it up, put on a lid and you are good to go. I'm not sure I'd use kalk on a sumpless system though, the drip is really high pH.