new to the hobby

kev311

Hi every one just wanted to say hi and am looking forward to everybodys input in the future, i am still in the beggining stages of getting equipment together, but i have done months of research through books and the internet and cant wait to get started. I currently have three fw tanks and am looking to move over to reef keeping (I am fascinated at the beauty of all of the members tanks.) anyway there it is. Also i am looking forward to the reopening of coral reef here in salem (rock2). Cheers.

Cant post any pics of the fw tanks, they're currently being torn down for reef tank funding.(all fish found good homes.)and the process is going to take more time than i would like it to. had a heart attack three months ago and currently drawing disability (I'm only 36,go figure.) but I'm getting better so thats good. Ive got alot of spare time on my hands and the Waite is killing me but what do you do. Anyway will keep you posted on how the build is going Ive got a 30 gallon long aga that i figured i would use as the display and a twenty gallon that i plan on using as a fuge will need to eventually get better lighting though as Ive only got 130 watts PC lighting but it should get me started. i also thought about making my own rock using garf's plans. but it does have a long curing time but given my monetary situation thats probably not a bad thing. i am looking forward to eventually meeting all of you one of these days.

Has anybody here had success making live rock from aragocrete.

Several people have made DIY rock from concrete. I have two pieces in the tanks-for-teachers tank that I will have set up in my classroom this fall. I have made enough to probably fill a 75g tank, it just needs to spend a few months in water to cure, and get the pH to drop to a stable value that won't kill off the tank.

If you want, I live in Oregon City, and have the portland cement that you can use to make some rock yourself. All you would need is to buy the salt and the sand or get ahold of some crushed coral or oyster shell to act as a binder for the mix. I can even show/help you how to make some neat designs for the rock.

dsoz

Thank you for the offer dsoz,but mobility is a bit of a problem for me at the momment, my doctor says he will clear me for driving again in a couple more months but if you would still be open to it when i get my wheels back that would be great. i was able to track down every thing i need localy so i may give it a go on my own. thanks again.

I was always curious about the posibility of of the mixed in salt leeching out and raising salinity to high' date=' but i see that being used quite a bit so that must not be of much concerne after proper kuring.[/quote']

The process of curing takes many months, and frequent (daily) water changes with freshwater. The more often the water is changed, the sooner it is done curing. If the salt will leach, it will do it in that time period when there is a HUGE concentration gradient. After you put the rock in your tank, there is a much smaller concentration gradient, so any salt left (not likely) would leach out much slower.

dsoz

Welcome Kevin,

It is great to have another hobbyist in the Salem and Mid Willamette Valley Area. We will be having a Meet and Greet in the Salem Area in the coming weeks.

If you would like to to help start the first Meet and Greet in your area; please contact me with a location to meet, and I will post a date and time for you to meet other in the hobby that are in your area.

Again welcome,

Thank you in advance

Kevin

Yes a meet and greet in Salem would be great, It would be cool to put some faces to the names. not only that I wouldn't mind getting out of the house to meet other people with similar interests. As for coordinating a time and place I'll have to check with my wife on whats good for both of us. or if theres already one scheduled ill look for it. I also would like to thank everybody for such a warm welcome, Its nice to have so much positive input.