What salt do you use and where do you buy it?

siskiou

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely don't think switching salts frequently is going to do the tank any good.

Stability seems to be the key, and checking the levels.

Last year, I had to use a bag of Instant Ocean, because I ran out of Reef Crystals and couldn't afford to order another bucket right then. I sure regretted it, because several of my corals didn't like the change at all!

No that did not help Eric.

I wonder from people who have read the report closely, like chorse who posted it if the "bad" parameters are alarming at all. I just am not sure if the levels are worth noting or not. All major brands usually claim to be free of these "bad" nutrients. This report tells a different story.

What I have taken from reading the report is that there are trace amounts of bad minerals, nutrients, and even heavy metals like copper in all salt mixes. The tests are for comparison of these different levels. The tests also give you a good idea of which salts have a good calcium, alkalenity, magnesium level etc. Othere things to look at are silica, phosphate, nitite and nitrate levels which can all be detremental for various reasons. You may notice that there are many similaities in results for most of the salt mixes out there. Also the test makes it clear that just because a salt is popular doesn't mean that it is the best one to go with. My concluding thought after a close analysis is that no matter which salt you go with it is important to monitor your levels and adjust accordingly.