What salt do you use and where do you buy it?

siskiou

I can almost see the bottom of my salt bucket (Instant Ocean), so it's time to order some.

First time I actually found a T-Shirt in there, but unfortunately it's XL, so my husband will be the happy recipient! :D

Has anything new developed on the salt market lately?

Did any of you ever hear of or use the salt available on gettankedaquariums.com?

Is it any good?

Are any local stores having affordable sales on salt?

Have used Oceanpure but did not like it a whole lot. Am now useing Kent and like the way it works. Also have a bucket of Tropic Marin that was given to me and am going to try it out in a month or so when the Kent runs out.

Search around I know Impur did a nice salt study and also a few others might have to.

Good luck!

Personally, I preffer Kent and Oceanic. Both of these were well balanced with their claim of 'nitrate and phosphate free' being most accurate, when mixed with RO of course.

Coral Reef pet center in Salem usually has both, but things are a little crazy with the move. Not sure where Im going get the next batch(scary)

I use Red Sea Coral Pro. Seems to work good. I get it from Dr's Foster and Smith. They only charge like ten bucks for delivery which makes it cheaper than buying local. They have Instant Ocean on sale now for $27 a bucket. So, it would be less than $40 delivered to your door.

Dennis

Doran,

Show me where I can buy a bucket of IO, RC, or Kent for less than $40.

I have used EVERY brand of salt over the years. Pacific Coast and Crystal Sea Marinemix have to be the 2 LEAST DESIRABLE that I have ever used. I always go back to the same brands I started with. IO, Reef Crystals, and Kent. Most recently I tried the new Tunze Reef Excel and I really like it, but not @ $25 for 50g.

Red Sea Coral Pro, pretty good salt, mixes up with just a little debris in the bottom, but levels are very good. Typically I buy 4-6 buckets and shipping is free, I think we bought them for $37.99 last time including shipping, prices went up a tad since then. IO is decent salt, I just got sick of buffering MG and cal and the fact every bucket was different reading. After going away from IO corals seemed to perk up, so I think there was more to the switch than just the cal and mg.

Doran,

Show me where I can buy a bucket of IO, RC, or Kent for less than $40.

I have used EVERY brand of salt over the years. Pacific Coast and Crystal Sea Marinemix have to be the 2 LEAST DESIRABLE that I have ever used. I always go back to the same brands I started with. IO, Reef Crystals, and Kent. Most recently I tried the new Tunze Reef Excel and I really like it, but not @ $25 for 50g.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. Dr's foster and smith are the wal mart of the pet world. Sorry but there is no where locally that you will find salt that cheap. Last time I checked central pet(wholesaler of dry goods to most pet stores locally) was selling reef crystals for right around 40 wholesale. It's unfair to compare any lfs to fosters. I will gladly fork over an extra 10-20 for salt to buy it local. At least I know I'm putting dinner on someones table and not making the rich richer. Fosters has ok customer service, but can never even compare to the face to face customer service you get at a majority of the lfs's. For those reasons I shop local for everything possible