SPS vs. LPS/Softies?

siskiou

Got a question for people with mixed reefs:

how do you keep your zoas/rics etc. from infringing on your SPS corals?

I've got a few fields of zoas and a large ricordia that are getting mighty close to two of my few thriving SPS corals and want to do something before it's too late.

Or can the SPS corals hold their own against other corals getting close?

I keep my SPS on one side of the tank, and the LPS on the other. The xenia, leather, and zoas go in the middle. One of these days I am going to figure out what kind of coral I like the most, and keep mostly that kind, and get rid of most of the others. I think that frogspawn is going to win out. :)

dsoz

You just need 3 tanks' date=' dsoz :)[/quote']

If I showed this to the wife, she would flip. It is already too much for her that I have one!

Although, if I were to get another tank, it would be a 40b set up with dual 250 MH, and stocked with only 2-3 RBTAs and a pair of maroon clowns. Maybe paint the back black, and have black sand, and highly purple rock. OOOH that would look NICE!!!

dsoz

I usually dont have a problem with zoas and rics getting too close to hurt my sps. My LPS and leathers I try and keep on the bottom of my tank or low in the tank but the SPS definately hold there own against the zoas and rics. In fact I have some zoas that have completely grown around some of my sps colonies with very little to no ill effect. They just wont grow close enough to have to battle with them.

Garrett

I started out my zoas, LPS closer to the bottom, but they are slowly migrating closer to the top, where the SPS reside.

The way my tank is set up, islands aren't really a possibility. Everything is ultimately connected *somewhere*.

I guess I could always frag off a piece of the sps, if it looks like the encroaching softies are winning the battle.

If I showed this to the wife, she would flip. It is already too much for her that I have one!

Although, if I were to get another tank, it would be a 40b set up with dual 250 MH, and stocked with only 2-3 RBTAs and a pair of maroon clowns. Maybe paint the back black, and have black sand, and highly purple rock. OOOH that would look NICE!!!

dsoz

So it sounds like you need at least 4 tanks, then. LPS, SPS, softies, and anenomes! (drooler)

I have some encrusting montis that have zoas on the same rock. The monti has encrusted around the zoa polyps and soon after that happens those polyps die off. Now if this were say, and acan lord the monti would not even have a chance to get close. It would be dead by the time it got within 4".

But overall i try to keep them on seperate rocks. One idea is to keep them on smaller rocks that you can remove and frag once the colony gets large.

Thanks for all the advice!

I've put a "barrier" in front of the ric that's getting close to an sps, so I can move the ric once it's moved onto the barrier.

Am watching what's happening with the zoas...

Hey, Miles, how are your zoas/nudies doing? I'm still interested in getting some frags . :)

I never had zoa nudis, just monti eating nudis. I have killed them all :D I'm slowely moving montis back into the display as i find room, but just about all of them are still in the QT for now. My zoas are all doing wonderful. Growing so fast its time to think about fragging just about every single colony i have. Thats gonna be a job!