WTB/WTT Potassium Permangenate

Twitterbait

I have lots. I have been giving it away, you just need to find your way to Oregon City to pick it up. I am doing some construction and cannot leave anytime for the next week or so.

If you are in a pinch, and need some NOW, I gave a 1 treatment sample to Joel at WAVES. You can call him and see if he still has it. Then I'll tell you how to make up the solution.

PM me to get my address.

dsoz

You can find it cheaper than that if you look. I have seen it as low as $10/lb, but you only need 0.05 g. If you get a pound, then you will have enough permanganate to treat your coral 100,000 times.

Let me check with the post office. Send me your address, and if it is ok to send through the mail then I will send you some as soon as I get your address.

dsoz

• 2 weeks later...
LPS eatin nudis?

Great... another one to worry about.

Great...I just got finished with my monty cap devouring little nudis. Lost my big green one, My Purple encrusting one that was the host that brought it to my tank, and my orange cap was half eaten when they suddenly went away. No idea where they went but they are gone from my orange cap and I am super glad.

Sorry to hear about the lps eating nudes. How do I spot them? Do they look the same? Little white ones?

Jay

Make sure you keep track of how the potassium permanganate works with the LPS. I have not tested it on anything besides montipora, and zoas.

Remember, one little bottle added to 1 liter of tank water. Stir until all is dissolved, and there is a deep purple. Then dip for 20-30 minutes. At least those were the directions for the monti-eating-nudis.

dsoz

Make sure you keep track of how the potassium permanganate works with the LPS. I have not tested it on anything besides montipora, and zoas.

Remember, one little bottle added to 1 liter of tank water. Stir until all is dissolved, and there is a deep purple. Then dip for 20-30 minutes. At least those were the directions for the monti-eating-nudis.

dsoz

FWIW i dipped for 1 hour with no problems ;)

Totally OT...

I thought that name was familiar!

Heh, many years ago before my food allergy was diagnosed I used to get a nasty rash on the soles of my feet, and they tried to treat me with it, didn't go any good, just turned my feet a brownish purple. :D

I had to look all over the area to find a pharmacist who'd heard of it, turns out I got the last of it in the area. Funny to see how things get used for different purposes ( the original use was trenchfoot in WWII IIRC ).

Totally OT...

I thought that name was familiar!

Heh, many years ago before my food allergy was diagnosed I used to get a nasty rash on the soles of my feet, and they tried to treat me with it, didn't go any good, just turned my feet a brownish purple. :D

I had to look all over the area to find a pharmacist who'd heard of it, turns out I got the last of it in the area. Funny to see how things get used for different purposes ( the original use was trenchfoot in WWII IIRC ).

Not too far off topic. When I was looking on-line for a place to buy it, I came across websites devoted to Eczema, and they had people talking of taking a bath in KMnO4. As the KMnO4 is reduced, it forms MnO2, which leaves a brown stain (looks like rust).

You are right about how it is funny how many things come around again with a different use. It is also used to remove iron from water, to kill snail eggs on FW pond plants, and now to kill nudibranchs in SW aquariums. :)

dsoz

Sorry to sideline here.

Does it from Iron Oxide, aka rust, to remove the iron?

I am not sure... I may need to look it up.

There are several different iron oxides. FeO, Fe2O3, and Fe3O4 come to mind. "rust" is actually a hydrated iron(II) oxide FeO*xH2O.

dsoz