hammer coral does not expand much

sontdo

I have a hammer coral, which has not been opened up much. I see hermits nibbling on the skeleton.

I also have a brain coral, which has been losing it's yellow pigment slowly. It's still expanding.

Other SPS and LPS are OK. I have 400W X2 and 6 Actinic blue 100W each; 2 1200Max jet pumps and sea swirl.

Any thought what can be wrong or what I need to do? I tried to move them to different locations. No luck.

How are your levels? Nitrates in particular? I find LPS to be really good indicators of water quality; when the trachyphyllia, fungia or hammer in my nano start looking worse for wear, I know I've procrastinated on water changes for way too long.

Euphylia can be difficult. I had a hammer that was thriving, one day it was completely recessed into its skeleton the next day all flesh had completely melted off. My water params were perfect Nitrate .5, Phosphate 0 Ca 420, PH 8.3, Alk 11, Sal 35ppt. I even tested idodine and it was in the reasonable range. Every other coral in the tank was thriving, including torches, hammers, and frogspwans. I still don't know what happend to it. Thge only thing I could come up with was that the clown did like to host in it occasionally, and maybe he slightly damaged some of the tissue and it quickly turned into rtn, but again that is a guess. It took 2 days for a 6 in long hammer to completely diappear. Wish I had more of an answer for you other than what andy said checking your water params. Unfortunately sounds like it my be to late if the hermits are already cleaing up. You may try dipping it in an idoine based coral dip. HTH