Skimmer, busted

aqua-ed

So my protein skimmer stopped working the other day. Nothing "happened" to it that I noticed, it simply doesn't run at all anymore. I took out the impeller, cleaned it off, and still nothing. It's less than a year old, I got it from Liquid Sunshine in September. I assume the pump is shot one way or another. Anybody have any ideas what happened? Is it a better idea to try and fix it or just buy a new one?

What kind of skimmer, and what brand pump? If it is just a simple powerhead it may be easy just to replace it.

I have a PH that will only run some of the time after it has been turned off. I have to "jump start" it by taking it apart and spinning the impeller by hand a couple of times. Once it starts running, then I put it back together and let it run until the power goes out on it again. Then it needs to be "jumped" again. Who knows???? It may be a sign to replace the PH if it does this, I am just too cheap to replace something that still half works.

dsoz

I am sure he appreciated that. Nothing like the taste of vinegar and skimmate mixed together in the morning. It is probably better than morning breath. :)

dsoz

He'll only notice if he actually brushes his teeth. :D

My wife grabbed the fish tooth brush one. She grabbed the turkey baster another time. She almost drank out of the mysis thawing cup too. She'd so kill me if she read this. I just didn't have the heart to tell her.