Moving on. Lost a wrasse, time for a tang.

pledosophy

I have some more room in my tank now and would like to be getting my first tang. Deciding between the tomini and the kole.

It's for a 65g. I originally planned on making it a seahorse tank so I put in a bunch of macro algae, well now it's a reef and pruing the macro is a weekly chore. I recently added a skimmer to help compensate for the filtration loss from the macro and I also beefed up my refugium a little bit. I also do at least 20g's of water changes every week on this tank (Joel and Jordan will vouch for that). So I don't have another way of removing the macro so I'm going for a biological solution.

That's a really good way of justifying getting a fish I have always wanted.I have wanted a Kole for sometime but just saw the Tomini and love that one too. Both stay smaller and like algaes just wondering if there is an opinion as to whihc one would do better.

I'm kind of assuming that they are both readily available but maybe there is a difference there too.

(fingers)

It would live with:

Midas Blenny

Bi Color Blenny

Pair of Clowns

Pinkspotted Watchman

Fireshrimp

4 Peppermint Shrimp

Various Corals

Here's a snap shot of the tank if it helps.

080604FTS65g.jpg

Am looking for a Tomini myself but would like a smaller one. I know Joel has that one and it is a great looking fish. Was told Upscales usually has them but they were out when I called. Good luck with the fish and post up what you get.

tank sure looks good' date=' cant help with the fish but is that a large mushroom in the center next to the clam?[/quote']

Thanks.

It's kinda lame cuz there are so many frags in there that don't show up in the pics, but when they fill it it will be groovy.

That is a large mushroom, 4 infact. The biggest one is over 6 inches across. Got one the size of a quarter from Garrett some time ago, those things really took off. Want one, or three. (naughty):D They are kinda to much.

Am looking for a Tomini myself but would like a smaller one. I know Joel has that one and it is a great looking fish. Was told Upscales usually has them but they were out when I called. Good luck with the fish and post up what you get.

Joel's was got me thinking about one. They look way better in person then in pics. Either fish I will be getting will come from Waves, it's really the only place I shop these days. They have always been able to get me anything I have wanted.

I got a nice kole in a week or so ago, did you see it in with the majestic when you were in this week?

Kevo if I can catch that tomini Id sell you it as well, take your pick :)

You know when I look at a tank with a Majestic Angel I really don't see anything else. They just have this power over me. Your's is one stunning fish. So I missed the Kole. I think I watched the angel for a few minutes too while I was waiting for the water. DOH! (laugh) One day I'll have a tank for them too.

Are you speaking of the tomini in the 60g cube? That would make the descion easy. That is the coolest tomini I have seen. I thought that system was going to stay all together though so I don't think you are.

You're the Marine Aquariumist. Is one going to do better then the other? From what I read they seem to need the same care.

Save me the one you think would do best in my system if that's cool. If they are they are pretty much the same (which my reseach points to but you'd know better) then I'd like the tomini. If the kole is a better fit I'll take that. I trust your judgement. I know next to nothing about tangs.

I probably can't make it in until Tuesday, will try for the weekend. I'm good for it. ;)

BTW Joel, you (rock2)

Since it was brought up in the topic and is fresh in my head, you wouldn't want any of those giant mushrooms for your frag tank or anything? (naughty) I really just want to clear some room for more corals and can't seem to give them away to anyone. Don't have the heart to just toss them.

kole tangs are stunning in their own right. from far away they just look like a solid brown color with a bit of yellow around the eye. its not until youre up close do you notice the intricate colors and patterns of their beauty. but, if you want an always stunning fish thats sure to draw attention from anywhere in a room...definitely the tomini. the orange flame tipped fins are pretty sweet.

FWIW the tomini in my tank is the fish visitors always are the first to comment on being the prettiest.

BUT something you may want to consider is mine, at least, does not touch macro algae. It nibbles on slime algae on the glass, and that sort of thing, but to me, at least, there are much better fish for mowing down algae. Might just be my specimen's personality, though.

-Sol

Awww and I didnt even get to say good bye :)

Sol both the Tomini and the kole are bristle tooths, so both do a [language filter] good job at workin the algae. The bristletooth family in general is pretty killer for tanks, they stay small, are hardy (usually) and eat algae like a machine.

Cool get some pics when it goes in. Saw one today and they are a real nice fish up close(rock2)

They are a very nice fish indeed. Here's mine.

kole2cropped-1.jpg

Awww and I didnt even get to say good bye

Well if your gonna cry about it you can come visit him. (naner) You show up with a net (threaten).

Awww and I didnt even get to say good bye :)

Sol both the Tomini and the kole are bristle tooths, so both do a [language filter] good job at workin the algae. The bristletooth family in general is pretty killer for tanks, they stay small, are hardy (usually) and eat algae like a machine.

Mine must just be weird. My purple tang eats a ton of algae, but my tomini won't touch it. My tomini also won't eat nori, only pellet. I wonder if he's a misfit? Did all the other little tomini tangs make fun of him when he was in elementary school?

-Sol

About how big is it? Also a nice looking fish(rock2)

Maybe 5" or so. Pretty nice size.

I'm amazed at how strong of a swimmer it is. I have a CL that pumps through a penducter for around 3000-4000 gph (depending on how well you think those penducters actually work) the Kole will just swim right into the flow for a few minutes at a time. This thing is going to look like the hulk soon if it keeps it up. It's pretty fun to watch.

So far the macro algaes have been safe. Not much intrest in the nori, but it is eating algae off the glass and pecking at the rocks. It has ignored mysis, krill, brine, and rods so far in my best observation. I might try something different for food since I'll be at the LFS tomorrow anyhoo.