SPS Issues, browing out then STN

Sup guys,

Anyone got experience with SPS just sorta browning out, then slowly loss tissue? over the course of a couple of weeks? Not sure why but I lost 3 SPS already this way, just the frags too. Every other ones are looking great it's just the one affected. first it started with my goblin anacropora, then two random acro, now my bonsai 😞 Alk and Calc has been stable at 8.1 and 400. The weirdest thing is that none of the pieces that were lost looked bad before, and none of my other SPS or coral are acting up, the really RTN prone, smooth skin acro, the dragons, are actually is doing the best it has ever been for me.

Any tips on diagnosis or treatment?

Also not sure if its relevant but I did do an amoxicillin tank wide a month ago for 10 days, to treat my chalice that was BJDing, that stopped and everything looks like its back to normal.

On 7/8/2024 at 6:43 PM, Krux said:

I would suggest an ICP if at all possible.  A few massive water changes is what I would do first.

Yup did the water change, ordered an ICP kit yesterday

11 hours ago, Colbymac92 said:

browning is usually indicative of nutrients, pest or bacteria challenges

Hm usually does it mean too much or too little nutrients? How would you approach this if you were me?

Honestly i think this is the first in a long while I dont want to look at my tank... scared of seeing new issues popping up, its just been one thing after another recently 😞

• Like 1

What are your phosphates and nitrates?

I think you can rule out pest like AEFW if your goblin anacropora browned out as they don't go after those guys.

You may want to check your rodi unit as it's odd that your goblin anacropora browned out. Those things feel bulletproof.

Another clue to help indicitae the issue is to determine where it browned / stn'ed from:

top of the frag = alk swing / bleaching

middle = flow issues

base = nutrients / pest

***this is my experience***

Edited by Colbymac92
  • Like 1

all of the frags actually started from the base... Im gonna check the nitrate phosphate once I get home, but its always been so low I never bothered, the browning out is it usually high or low nutrients?

Base on the symptoms you described, acro turn dark then slowly dying, you are going through bacterial issue.

This situation has been hitting a few hobbyists around the US.

I am not sure the exact bacteria that cause this or the treatment, most had used Cipro but I am not suggesting you use the same. 

May be oxolinic acid treatment would be good to try.

Also doing microbiome test may help finding the strain of bacteria that blooming out of proportion in the tank that could cause the problem.

I also notice that problem occurs mostly during hot months when tank water temp elevated to higher than normal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, goldenbasketreef said:

Base on the symptoms you described, acro turn dark then slowly dying, you are going through bacterial issue.

I am not sure the exact bacteria that cause this or the treatment, most had used Cipro but I am not suggesting you use the same. 

Also doing microbiome test may help finding the strain of bacteria that blooming out of proportion in the tank that could cause the problem.

I also notice that problem occurs mostly during hot months when tank water temp elevated to higher than normal.

All good points, Rudy. Will, can you lower your tank temps to 76F? This will help if you are going through a bacterial problem. Doing a microbiome test would be a good idea too.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lexinverts said:

All good points, Rudy. Will, can you lower your tank temps to 76F? This will help if you are going through a bacterial problem. Doing a microbiome test would be a good idea too.

I've been having some of the same symptoms for the past few months.  Some browning out, STN from the bottom up.  Some colonies, not all.  Torts seemed to take the hit the worst.  I suspected bacterial, did Oxolinic - then fired off microbiome test little over a month later.   (last day of Oxolinic was May 11th, microbiome sample taken June 16th)   Results are not back yet.

Nothing wrong with running a little lower temp for a while.  Just lowered my tank setpoint from 78F -> 76F.   Guess my chiller will just have to work a little harder. 

Tank trend for past week, centered on 78 degrees.

image.png

The Air in my fishroom (aka garage) has maxed to around 85 degrees, even during this heatwave.  And the air temp, inside my enclosed tank hood, inside the house, also gets into the low 80s.

image.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, goldenbasketreef said:

Darn I was a afraid of that 😞, Ill try the cipro first since I have it on hand.

8 hours ago, Lexinverts said:

Thank Andy, Ill try, its really hard rn cause its so hot XD

9 hours ago, Colbymac92 said:

Could be either. Sticks need nitrates so those could be low there. Phosphates you want between 0.02 - 0.07

Yeah I just checked 0 on both, im gonna dose some right now too.

8 hours ago, Colbymac92 said:

Been doing a cipro treatment anyways this week because of my euphyillia. Maybe this will help my sticks too. 

when you use cipro, do you do every day or every other day?

If you are doing an antibiotic treatment, don't skip a day. Skipping a day allows the antibiotic concentration to drop in the tank and you don't want that.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Lexinverts said:

If you are doing an antibiotic treatment, don't skip a day. Skipping a day allows the antibiotic concentration to drop in the tank and you don't want that.

I actually ended up not doing an antibiotic treatment yet. On Friday, right when I was about to dose the first anti-biotic, the color seems to have returned, since then the tissue loss seemed to have stopped and all the affected ones seems to be back to normal now. Polyp out and about. I think the moons realigned and all the SPS decided it was not a good day to die so they all called it off. 😂

• Like 2