Aquabiomics Test Results

LavenderTi

I received my reports for my samples from May 2nd (I've changed a few things in my DT since the test). But here's the reports. Some odd things, not sure how to interpret them. Figured they might be interesting discussion here. I'll probably need to ask Eli what the "J115" bacteria is that's in the QT tank.

Glad to see the pathogens in the QT and not in the Display Tank.

P500_Aquabiomics_Report.pdf QT_Aquabiomics_Report.pdf

• Like 2

I am also seeing that your OT is low on flavor, maybe add some hot sauce?

Interested in what Andy or Eli have to say, I am not personally educated on interpreting these results.  Do you run UV on either system?  I know that is a variable and it would be interesting to know if that impacts things.

Edited by Krux

I was running ozone on the display tank for 1 hour at night. Otherwise the two tanks are pretty different:

Display P500:

• Ocean Live Rock
  • Bare Bottom
  • Skimmer & Filter Roller
  • Algae Turf Scrubber
  • Plenty of fish

QT:

• Ocean Live Rock
  • Sand when it was previously run as my reef tank
  • no skimmer, mechanical filtration
  • fishless, dosing Ammonia

@Krux I've been digging this hot sauce, maybe I'll add some! Hopefully the kelp in it will add some more diversity.

• Like 1

I still trade grunge. 

I think it has name J115 as the name because not all the gene sequence results are documented for proper identification. Most likely it is recently discovered and they are still mapping it. Usually they will match it to something with a similiar sequence/properties of it is unknown. 

J115 is nonmotile, gram negative, and anaerobic. Capable of metabolizing various "fat chains." Suspected of dealing in ammonia rich + nutrient rich environment. (No they are not the same)

Pathogen testing is useful but note it does not account for organisms that spread the pathogen. Ich for example. 

In your tank I would imagine there is more animal waste (ammonia) than photosynthetic waste (carbs mostly).

Looking at the presence of Piscirickettsiaceae, Mycobacteriaceae, and Hyphomicrobiaceae could to detritus plugged up somewhere. A skimmer would help regardless even if they are not all motile and have spores. 

This would influence your flavor in a way.

Interestingly some of these bacterias are found in gut biomes and even used as probiotic. 

Crenarchaeota has been shown to process ammonia to nitrite. It could be filling the role of other ammonia oxidizing bacteria. Probably in a lower nutrient environment. 

*shellfish are constantly filterfeeding in the ocean. Good and bad they incorporate and keep bacteria alive. Diversity bomb. 

*max potential diversity is best transfered in tanks between 5 - 10 years of age. Any less is "developing" and anything over is reduced diversity. 

*the argument with ocean rock is the rock goes through it's own mini cycle during transport and acclimation.  It may be  diverse but also in constant flux.  

• Like 2

@Eatfrenchfries that’s super helpful. Thank you. Odd about the bacteria in gut biomes showing up in my sample. 

The QT tank with the sand definitely has lots of detritus. I never rinsed the sand from the switch from reef tank to QT. I’ll likely vacuum a quarter of the sand on my next water change with it. I have a skimmer for it but still don’t know if it’s worth the effort. The corals in the QT tank have been quite happy with good growth. 

As for the display tank, since the sample was more than 6 weeks ago, I’ve changed to not using ozone and started to dose ammonia. In the coming week I’m going to use a powerhead to kick up detritus around the tank. Let that filter roller do its job. 

On 6/11/2024 at 9:19 AM, LavenderTi said:

I was running ozone on the display tank for 1 hour at night. Otherwise the two tanks are pretty different:

Display P500:

• Ocean Live Rock
  • Bare Bottom
  • Skimmer & Filter Roller
  • Algae Turf Scrubber
  • Plenty of fish

QT:

• Ocean Live Rock
  • Sand when it was previously run as my reef tank
  • no skimmer, mechanical filtration
  • fishless, dosing Ammonia

@Krux I've been digging this hot sauce, maybe I'll add some! Hopefully the kelp in it will add some more diversity.

Hi Scott:

Have you been having any issues in either tank? I like the high balance scores on your display tank. I think that comes from the addition of ocean live rock.

If I were you I would try a large water change on each system to see if you can boost your Pelagibacteraceae. Do you incorporate water changes into your tank maintenance? Alternatively, you could try dosing lots of PNSB from Sharokh. Both of these actions have boosted Pelagibacteraceae in my systems.

You have some pathogens at average levels in the QT, but not the one I am most afraid of (Arcobacter). I would take a wait and see approach to that tank for now. 

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 8:21 AM, LavenderTi said:

I received my reports for my samples from May 2nd (I've changed a few things in my DT since the test). But here's the reports. Some odd things, not sure how to interpret them. Figured they might be interesting discussion here. I'll probably need to ask Eli what the "J115" bacteria is that's in the QT tank.

Glad to see the pathogens in the QT and not in the Display Tank.

P500_Aquabiomics_Report.pdf 250.74 kB · 26 downloads QT_Aquabiomics_Report.pdf 254.54 kB · 20 downloads

J115 is a newly designated group of bacteria that hasn't been given an official name yet. I don't think it is super common, but Eli would have to tell you about that.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lexinverts said:

Hi Scott:

Have you been having any issues in either tank? I like the high balance scores on your display tank. I think that comes from the addition of ocean live rock.

If I were you I would try a large water change on each system to see if you can boost your Pelagibacteraceae. Do you incorporate water changes into your tank maintenance? Alternatively, you could try dosing lots of PNSB from Sharokh. Both of these actions have boosted Pelagibacteraceae in my systems.

You have some pathogens at average levels in the QT, but not the one I am most afraid of (Arcobacter). I would take a wait and see approach to that tank for now. 

Cheers,

Andy

The main issue I had was just poor coral growth than my Coral QT tank. I figured it'd be good to have "baseline" values as well. Since I've done this test I added a recirculating CO2 scrubber which boosted my pH from 7.9-8.1 all the way to 8.3-8.4. That change has really boosted growth. I do water changes ~20% every 1.5-2 months. I'll up the PNSB I've been dosing (I've been doing it every once in awhile). I HIGHLY recommend ocean rock for people just starting a tank.

On 6/11/2024 at 12:50 PM, Krux said:

@LavenderTi Bullwhip ordered!

I usually use this one to up my flavobacter.  It is strangely delicious over vanilla gelato.

Does anyone else remember the days of sand trading?  It seems like the plot of a reef tank horror story now that we can pull this sort of data.

Let me know what you think of the Bullwhip. I'll grab a bottle of brother bru next time I'm at People's Coop or Natural Grocers.

• Like 1