🐬June Meeting at Hatfield!!🐳

Emerald525

We are very excited to announce the June Meeting  at the Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport, OR! 
IMG_2694.jpeg

The HMSC's Senior Aquarist, Sid (also a PNWMAS member known here as @IntoTheMystic) has graciously offered to host us again this year.

We are awaiting confirmation of a topic but in the past we have had the opportunity to interact with a Greater Pacific Octopus!!  🐙 

IMG_2696.jpeg

IMG_2695.jpeg

Join us on Saturday, June 24th at 12:00 noon.  

We'll also have an onsite BBQ pot luck. Chef Sirena will bring her Blackstone and possibly the mini Traegar so you are in for a treat!

Feel free to bring some side dishes to share! Refrigeration, restrooms and tables will be available.

What:  PNWMAS Meeting with Sid from HMSC
When: Saturday, June 24 at 12:00 noon
Where:   
Hatfield Marine Science Center Visitor Center
2030 SE Marine Science Drive
Newport, OR  97365-5229

Admission Fee:  $5.00 per person -- this supports the HMSC to subsidize their operations.

To order online:

https://seagrant.oregonstate.edu/visitor-center

(map here)

Please reply in this thread if you plan to attend.  Looking forward to seeing you all in Newport! 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

Join us on Saturday, June 4th at 12:00 noon.  

We'll also have an onsite BBQ pot luck. Chef Sirena will bring her Blackstone and possibly the mini Traegar so you are in for a treat!

Feel free to bring some side dishes to share! Refrigeration, restrooms and tables will be available.

What:  PNWMAS Meeting with Sid from HMSC
When: Saturday, June 24 at 12:00 noon

• Emerald525 unpinned, unlocked and pinned this topic

Hey folks!

Looking very much forward to hosting you at HMSC again this year. The BoH tour will start at 12, we can linger and chat in the Teaching Lab for a while and then my colleague Trevor Erdmann will be leading a discussion about the Association of Aquatic Life Support Operators (AALSO.) If you 're into life support design, components, optimization and general LSS geekery, you'll find this discussion interesting. Trevor has taught the Life Support class for the AQS program for the last 5 years and has earned AALSO Level III LSS certification. He's also a great guy and is looking forward to meeting you folks!

Pertinent stuff for your visit:

Hatfield has had to start charging for admission but it's only $5 a head. To order online:

On most Saturdays, there is an octopus feeding at 2 p.m. We just moved a new Giant Pacific Octopus on exhibit a few weeks back and are not doing public feedings yet while she adjusts to her new environs. It's possible that there will be a feeding on the 24th but that'll be a game time decision.

For folks bringing food and beverages for the potluck, there are a coupla fridges in the Staff Lounge we can use. Fresh sea air claimed both Webers we had on campus but it sounds like Chef Sirena has cooking contingencies planned.  As in years past, we can sit at the picnic tables just outside the lounge or inside.

If you have any questions, just message me or post to this thread. I'll check it regularly.

Looking forward to having you folks down here again! 🍻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Emerald525 unlocked and unlocked this topic
19 hours ago, IntoTheMystic said:

Hey folks!

Looking very much forward to hosting you at HMSC again this year. The BoH tour will start at 12, we can linger and chat in the Teaching Lab for a while and then my colleague Trevor Erdmann will be leading a discussion about the Association of Aquatic Life Support Operators (AALSO.) If you 're into life support design, components, optimization and general LSS geekery, you'll find this discussion interesting. Trevor has taught the Life Support class for the AQS program for the last 5 years and has earned AALSO Level III LSS certification. He's also a great guy and is looking forward to meeting you folks!

Pertinent stuff for your visit:

Hatfield has had to start charging for admission but it's only $5 a head. To order online:

On most Saturdays, there is an octopus feeding at 2 p.m. We just moved a new Giant Pacific Octopus on exhibit a few weeks back and are not doing public feedings yet while she adjusts to her new environs. It's possible that there will be a feeding on the 24th but that'll be a game time decision.

For folks bringing food and beverages for the potluck, there are a coupla fridges in the Staff Lounge we can use. Fresh sea air claimed both Webers we had on campus but it sounds like Chef Sirena has cooking contingencies planned.  As in years past, we can sit at the picnic tables just outside the lounge or inside.

If you have any questions, just message me or post to this thread. I'll check it regularly.

Looking forward to having you folks down here again! 🍻

Thanks for the details ! Sirena has it covered she has a portable Blackstone and and a portable Traegar either one will work ! We are going to have burgers and hot dogs and water and any sides you want to bring !!😊

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, steveweast said:

I’ll be there. Looks like we can buy tickets at the door. 

You can! Unlike years past, there's now a cashier, so you don't have to worry about reservations, etc. We're looking very much forward to hosting you folks today. Have a relaxing, uneventful drive to the coast and I'll meet you in the Visitor's Center at noon!

• Like 1

Great meeting ! @IntoTheMystic thanks for hosting and always making sure we have a gorgeous day !! Trevor’s talk was one of the best and my grandson Manny was fascinated with all you were teaching him about pumps.   Here’s a few pictures!!

Beautiful cold water system looks like an Envisions tank.

IMG_2869.jpeg

IMG_2866.jpeg

The grandkids enjoyed the touch pools and this topographic exhibit was fun!!IMG_2872.jpegIMG_2889.jpeg

We had a brief tour of the lab IMG_2874.jpegIMG_2876.jpeg

This is Trevor speaking about aquatic life support!! I was too mesmerized by the pictures of the lab they have with giant pumps plumbing skimmers and filtration. I thought my 6 year old grandson would be bored but he was glued to the screen looking at all the pumps. IMG_2880.jpegIMG_2886.jpegIMG_2887.jpeg

This is Sid going through the book with my grandson. It is updated regularly and is only 50 dollars. Highly recommend this book to all the people who love the mechanical aspects of the hobby and are interested in aquarium design .This is what people study to get certification.Trevor just passed the Level 3 exam and there are only a handful of people that too so it’s a big deal !!

The food was amazing too thanks to @Sirenabut I forgot to get pictures! All in all a great time !!!

IMG_2888.jpeg

IMG_2885.jpeg

• Like 1