Promote cultivating live cultures yourself.

Eatfrenchfries

A bit disgusted with myself and hearing how often and how much people pay for copepods + phytoplankton.

I keep running cultures of Tisbe, Apocyclops, and Tigriopus pods. If you're interested in Amphipods or Mysids.  I keep them on the back burner for finicky new sires. (I can show you pictures of setup for proof of cultivation if needed).  *Please don't ask me for parvocalanus, that is exclusive to breeding and high density feeds. 

If you're interested I can split my cultures at one of my harvests for you to be able to cultivate your own. I can add in a 2L pop bottle of phyto blend to keep you going until you can cultivate your own phytoplankton. 

I keep as of now 17+ different cultures (phyto, cyano, dinos, diatoms, zooxanthellae). I'm willing to split Tertraselmis or Nannochloropsis at harvest to cultivate your own if you can't source it. 

Rotifers I have L-type and S-type. (Primarily used for breeding projects).

*these are meant as starter cultures for seeding your own separate culture. Not advised for feeding your tank or seeding your tank (unless you have a refugium or other functional pod breeding ground). 

If you need something specific for a breeding project or unique organism I'd be more than interested to contribute. (Proof of project required).

Each pod culture would be in a 16oz bottle for $15 of a blend (4 types). All three types in separate containers we'd call it $45 even. The feed phyto blend bottle (12 types, what I use for my tanks) in a 16oz bottle you can add for $5.

Individual phytoplankton cultures will be available for $20 in a 2L pop bottle. Live phyto will be 16oz for $5 until the blend changes with the addition of porphyrium. 

Rotifer cultures will be $8 each for a 16oz bottle (I'll flush a  3 gallon culture through a sieve and you'll get that in the bottle).

*Red Flag* - I can realistically only service one or two orders every couple of weeks or it will be too thin. So this is not meant for feeding or subscription services. This is meant for you to do the cultivation yourself to save money in the long run. 

Nearest crossroad is SW Oleson Rd x Scholls Ferry. Shipping not ideal but I can make it happen. 

Picture is of Enteromorpha Intestinalis aka gutweed. Popular in waterfall algae turf scrubbers in the UK. Doesn't fragment and cover your whole tank like ulva lactuca. Looks more like long flowing seagrass and edible by everything. Thought I'd make it available to locals in the PNW before spreading it around. Open to trade for other macros. 

20230204_001109.jpg

Edited by Eatfrenchfries
  • Like 4

Very generous of you.   I'm sending you a PM for a starters of Tertraselmis and Tigriopus pods.   That's assuming Tigrio consume the Nanno phyto I'm currently culturing.

PM coming.  

For anyone interested in trying their hand growing Phyto and other cultures, @Eatfrenchfries is the master.  But I can offer tips and tricks I've learned from using the Poseiodon system method.   It start with, grow in plastic bag lined gallon jars.  And using disposable (RO tubing) straws for bubbling through.   So the only cleaning and sterilizing I have to do is wipe the inside of the caps with alcohol, and let it fully dry.   

Harvest, throw away tube and bag, sterilize inside of jar caps, restart with fresh bag lined jar and fresh RO/airline tubing.    
(My other tip/trick is I bought 100% separate utensils for working with phyto.   Keep them in separate tub, never mixed with the rest of my tank tools.) 

• Like 2

@obrien.david.j thank you for the kind words but I am no means a master yet. We all had to learn from someone and even I'm still not where I want to be. 

More than happy to help any along with their cultures and provide what guidance I can. @Yourmedic, always willing to chat whenever. 

For me it is occam's razor and if you want something done right, DIY. 

Apparently my phone quality is too high so I need to either resize images or take a screen shot. The picture included is the reason I got into live foods. Crown jewels.Screenshot_20230206_105658_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Eatfrenchfries said:

@obrien.david.j thank you for the kind words but I am no means a master yet. We all had to learn from someone and even I'm still not where I want to be. 

More than happy to help any along with their cultures and provide what guidance I can. @Yourmedic, always willing to chat whenever. 

For me it is occam's razor and if you want something done right, DIY. 

Apparently my phone quality is too high so I need to either resize images or take a screen shot. The picture included is the reason I got into live foods. Crown jewels.Screenshot_20230206_105658_Gallery.jpg

I'll bite, what are they specifically.

Here's the closest in my tank.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eatfrenchfries said:

A bit disgusted with myself and hearing how often and how much people pay for copepods + phytoplankton.

I keep running cultures of Tisbe, Apocyclops, and Tigriopus pods. If you're interested in Amphipods or Mysids.  I keep them on the back burner for finicky new sires. (I can show you pictures of setup for proof of cultivation if needed).  *Please don't ask me for parvocalanus, that is exclusive to breeding and high density feeds. 

If you're interested I can split my cultures at one of my harvests for you to be able to cultivate your own. I can add in a 2L pop bottle of phyto blend to keep you going until you can cultivate your own phytoplankton. 

I keep as of now 17+ different cultures (phyto, cyano, dinos, diatoms, zooxanthellae). I'm willing to split Tertraselmis or Nannochloropsis at harvest to cultivate your own if you can't source it. 

Rotifers I have L-type and S-type. (Primarily used for breeding projects).

*these are meant as starter cultures for seeding your own separate culture. Not advised for feeding your tank or seeding your tank (unless you have a refugium or other functional pod breeding ground). 

If you need something specific for a breeding project or unique organism I'd be more than interested to contribute. (Proof of project required).

Each pod culture would be in a 16oz bottle for $15 of a single type. All three types we'd call it $30 even. The feed blend bottle (12 types, what I use for my tanks) in a 2L pop you can add for $10. 

Individual phytoplankton cultures will be available for $15 in a 2L pop bottle to start your own. I mix my own F/2 if you want some. 

Rotifer cultures will be $8 each for a 16oz bottle (I'll flush a  3 gallon culture through a sieve and you'll get that in the bottle).

*Red Flag* - I can realistically only service one or two orders every couple of weeks or it will be too thin. So this is not meant for feeding or subscription services. This is meant for you to do the cultivation yourself to save money in the long run. 

Nearest crossroad is SW Oleson Rd x Scholls Ferry. Shipping not ideal but I can make it happen. 

Picture is of Enteromorpha Intestinalis aka gutweed. Popular in waterfall algae turf scrubbers in the UK. Doesn't fragment and cover your whole tank like ulva lactuca. Looks more like long flowing seagrass and edible by everything. Thought I'd make it available to locals in the PNW before spreading it around. Open to trade for other macros. 

20230204_001109.jpg

I sense a future club meeting discussion incoming...

• Like 5

On 2/6/2023 at 10:21 AM, Yourmedic said:

@Eatfrenchfries I’m currently out of state for another month ish, but when I get back, I’d love to get with you and learn all that you’re willing to teach!! 

I would also love to go out and talk pods, rotis and phyto if you two get together I would love to join.  My goal is do breed something other than clownfish.  I did a small brood of clownfish, but now looking to darker pastures.  I can keep my phyto and rotis alive as long as I care,  but no baby fish and I foget .......

Rotis seem very labor intense.  Love to hear what you all have to say.  

• Like 2