Plumbing help

islandVib3s

I'm currently working on my 4x2x2 sps dominant build.  The tank is a sca 120. Has 2 drains and 1 return that  splits inside the internal overflow box 2(.5). My question is how would I plumb the UV w/o having to drill another hole. It's eurobraced and the overflow box has 3 1in bulkheads 1 Emergency, 1 durso,1 return. I'm thinking a manifold but how would you got about that and just using one oversized pump?. Thanks for the help and pictures are always best. 20230126_210239.jpg

If it was me, I'd run it with its own adjustable flow pump and just dump it back in the sump. Gives you ultimate control without compromising reliability.  Then, put the UV and the pump on a power splitter so you remember to turn them both on/off at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Micah said:

If it was me, I'd run it with its own adjustable flow pump and just dump it back in the sump. Gives you ultimate control without compromising reliability.  Then, put the UV and the pump on a power splitter so you remember to turn them both on/off at the same time.

Yea I was thinking about that, 2 different return pumps and dump back into return chamber, but isn't that double processing? Hmm. 

Also, the chance of even half of the water being double processed is slim even if you dumped it right in front of the pump.  You won't want to pull from the drain and empty into the return area either because you'll be skipping the skimmer section.  As long as you return even an inch downstream of where you picked up, it'll be fresh new un-sterilized water that can then get skimmed/whatever else.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jtichenor said:

I have a dc pump feeding a manifold mounted to the top of the cabinet. The uv is at the end of the manifold with the outlet dumping right next to the return section (behind the algae scrubber).20230117_093736.jpg

I like this, I think I'm going to do this. That way I don't lose flow on main pump. Did you have any difficulty setting ato level with the sump manifold?

1 minute ago, islandVib3s said:

I like this, I think I'm going to do this. That way I don't lose flow on main pump. Did you have any difficulty setting ato level with the sump manifold?

Not at all. Once the ATO has replenished the water that was used to fill the manifold and uv sterilizer the ATO is as stable as it always has been.

Be sure to put a valve on the line going to the uv to create some back-pressure to feed the other devices on the manifold. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, jtichenor said:

Not at all. Once the ATO has replenished the water that was used to fill the manifold and uv sterilizer the ATO is as stable as it always has been.

Be sure to put a valve on the line going to the uv to create some back-pressure to feed the other devices on the manifold. 

Perfect, I plan to run it on 1/2 with union valves also. Good tip. Thx.

2 hours ago, The ReefBox said:

What uv are you using   I’m using an Aqua UV And after talking with there tech found out I was not pushing near enough water through it  I put a flow meter on the output side of tge Uv and used an oversized dc pump to handle this task 

Depends on what you're trying to kill.  The more time in the tube, the bigger the organism it'll kill.  If you're only after bacterial blooms, then sure... rip that water through there. :)

10 hours ago, The ReefBox said:

What uv are you using   I’m using an Aqua UV And after talking with there tech found out I was not pushing near enough water through it  I put a flow meter on the output side of tge Uv and used an oversized dc pump to handle this task 

36watt jebaoooooo. Paired with a DC 50w jebaooooo lol. Jebao is awesome. Hydros also just dropped flow meters.  I'll order it soonish.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 8:32 AM, Micah said:

Depends on what you're trying to kill.  The more time in the tube, the bigger the organism it'll kill.  If you're only after bacterial blooms, then sure... rip that water through there. :)

You would be surprised what the guys at Aqua UV tech told me!! This is not necessarily the case  trust me I didn’t believe it either but these are the Uv gurus   The rate at which they reproduce if dwell time is too long they just reproduce and end up back in the h2o column  this is not coming from me   It’s directly from Aqua Uv  they promote more flow 

53 minutes ago, The ReefBox said:

You would be surprised what the guys at Aqua UV tech told me!! This is not necessarily the case  trust me I didn’t believe it either but these are the Uv gurus   The rate at which they reproduce if dwell time is too long they just reproduce and end up back in the h2o column  this is not coming from me   It’s directly from Aqua Uv  they promote more flow 

Yea I've always heard more contact time the more the dna get damaged.  Sounds like they just want you to go bigger to get more flow. Hard pass lol uv setups are pricey enough.