Hello from Beaverton! Brand new to this

Scooter

I bought my first salt water tank about 2 months ago. 36 gallon bow front. It was a used tank off Craigslist.  I told myself that I would keep it super simple with a FOWLR tank and not let it get expensive.   Now I'm already working on building a screen top so that I can add a new light and get some coral.

Stocking include

2 clownfish

Bicolor blenny 

3 pajama cardinal 

Firefish 

Diamond watchman goby 

Cleaner shrimp 

2 trochas snails 

2 cerith snails

2 Scarlett hermits

Emerald crab

I'll attach some pics of when I first got the tank,  the current tank and the lid that I'm making

20230108_191157.jpg

20230108_202524.jpg

20230108_151829.jpg

20221116_052955.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome aboard!  I had a bowfront like that as my first tank too!

If I may offer advice I would suggest you start a journal to capture your history.  What you bought, how much you paid, when it died, what you dosed, how often you feed, your measurements for testing, behavior in fish, changes to lights, upgraded equipment, etc.

Doing that really helped me learn the hobby, identify cause/effect, and gives me a fun trip down memory lane when my wife asks "How old is that fish?"

Have Fun and Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jtichenor said:

Welcome! 

I love FOWLER tanks! It's great to be able to keep a great number of fish that are unsuitable for coral tanks.

I SHOULD just keep it as a fowlr tank but i just can't help myself.  Ive been enjoying the hobby way more than i thought i would.   Part of my motivation with it is a pretty unique situation.  I make amazon review videos. That was one of my main motivations for getting the tank.  Fish tank products have done pretty well for me.  So, now, if i get some coral, it'll give me a whole new set of products to make videos about.  Not too many people get in to this hobby to try to MAKE money 😂.   So far, that has been a horrible idea.  The products are doing well, but the costs keep adding up 😂

• Like 1

Welcome although I believe we’ve already spoken lol! Hey that’s how I started with saltwater too, originally just planned on a clownfish pair. That turned into learning about coral and acquiring a new light and went from there. Super fun and addictive for sure 

8 hours ago, TaylorW said:

Welcome although I believe we’ve already spoken lol! Hey that’s how I started with saltwater too, originally just planned on a clownfish pair. That turned into learning about coral and acquiring a new light and went from there. Super fun and addictive for sure 

Hey, man!   I expect my lid to be done in the next couple days.   I got all the pieces painted and just waiting for them to cure 😀

I'll probably order my light and ATO this weekend and have it all up and running next week.