Hello from Beaverton! Brand new to this

Scooter

I bought my first salt water tank about 2 months ago. 36 gallon bow front. It was a used tank off Craigslist.  I told myself that I would keep it super simple with a FOWLR tank and not let it get expensive.   Now I'm already working on building a screen top so that I can add a new light and get some coral.

Stocking include

2 clownfish

Bicolor blenny 

3 pajama cardinal 

Firefish 

Diamond watchman goby 

Cleaner shrimp 

2 trochas snails 

2 cerith snails

2 Scarlett hermits

Emerald crab

I'll attach some pics of when I first got the tank,  the current tank and the lid that I'm making

20230108_191157.jpg

20230108_202524.jpg

20230108_151829.jpg

20221116_052955.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome aboard!  I had a bowfront like that as my first tank too!

If I may offer advice I would suggest you start a journal to capture your history.  What you bought, how much you paid, when it died, what you dosed, how often you feed, your measurements for testing, behavior in fish, changes to lights, upgraded equipment, etc.

Doing that really helped me learn the hobby, identify cause/effect, and gives me a fun trip down memory lane when my wife asks "How old is that fish?"

Have Fun and Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jtichenor said:

Welcome! 

I love FOWLER tanks! It's great to be able to keep a great number of fish that are unsuitable for coral tanks.

I SHOULD just keep it as a fowlr tank but i just can't help myself.  Ive been enjoying the hobby way more than i thought i would.   Part of my motivation with it is a pretty unique situation.  I make amazon review videos. That was one of my main motivations for getting the tank.  Fish tank products have done pretty well for me.  So, now, if i get some coral, it'll give me a whole new set of products to make videos about.  Not too many people get in to this hobby to try to MAKE money 😂.   So far, that has been a horrible idea.  The products are doing well, but the costs keep adding up 😂

• Like 1

Welcome although I believe we’ve already spoken lol! Hey that’s how I started with saltwater too, originally just planned on a clownfish pair. That turned into learning about coral and acquiring a new light and went from there. Super fun and addictive for sure 

8 hours ago, TaylorW said:

Welcome although I believe we’ve already spoken lol! Hey that’s how I started with saltwater too, originally just planned on a clownfish pair. That turned into learning about coral and acquiring a new light and went from there. Super fun and addictive for sure 

Hey, man!   I expect my lid to be done in the next couple days.   I got all the pieces painted and just waiting for them to cure 😀

I'll probably order my light and ATO this weekend and have it all up and running next week.

• 1 month later...

I've decided I'm going to use this thread to log all of my events and keep track of everything.  Mainly because I feel like I could use advice. So, if anyone wants to tell me what I'm doing wrong, I won't take offense.

Tonight was my weekly water change. I change out about 4.5 every week.  I've also started a log to keep track of my parameters.

Tonight was 8.4 dkh, 470 calcium,  1480 mag, 0 phosphate,  and 15 nitrates.

I'm using the salifert test kit. I don't know if it just isn't accurate enough to measure the phosphates, but it always just looks like clear water and doesn't change color at all.

Since, I've only got a few coral in there.  I see lots of new growth on the GSP, candy can heads are splitting in two.  My favorite coral is my 

Grandis palythoa.   It added another polyp a few weeks ago.  It seems like the base has had a lot of changes. I'm hoping some new polyps come out.

I modeled some corners for my lid and then had a coworker 3d print them.  I'm not really digging the grey, but other than that, they turned out amazing. Now I just need to model the  front ones.  Overall. I'm pretty happy with the lid. Though,  it's going to get redone once I lose the hang on the back stuff. I'm working on building a sump.  I grabbed a couple acrylic sumps at the meet up and I cut them up on my table saw and I'm waiting for some solvent weld to bond them back together.   I'm going to build the smallest sump anyone has ever seen. I could definitely use some advice on that one.

Lights were already off and I turned them back on for the video. So, some of the corals were already starting to retract 

Edited by Scooter

10 hours ago, Scooter said:

I'm working on building a sump.  I grabbed a couple acrylic sumps at the meet up and I cut them up on my table saw and I'm waiting for some solvent weld to bond them back together.   I'm going to build the smallest sump anyone has ever seen. I could definitely use some advice on that one.

I'm a fan of Weld-On #16 as a thickened solvent, when I'm reinforcing my ugly cut spot.  And for basic clean corners, it's Weld-On #4 (super thin/like water), applied with effectively a syringe.

image.png

2 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

I'm a fan of Weld-On #16 as a thickened solvent, when I'm reinforcing my ugly cut spot.  And for basic clean corners, it's Weld-On #4 (super thin/like water), applied with effectively a syringe.

image.png

I've got #4 and #16 both coming.  I'm going to build it with #4 and then cut strip and reinforce the corners with #16.

That wasn't really what I meant. I can build it.    I meant the design.   I know I'm going to end up with a 10×12 box.   I don't know exactly what I want to do with that box.  I'm thinking of putting dividers in it and making 4 5"×6" chambers.  I kinda feel like I should have all of them the same water level and let the ATO control the water height. I was thinking

chamber 1:  Filter sock

Chamber 2: skimmer

Chamber 3: refugium 

Chamber 4: return pump 

Gone overnight, comes back by end of day.  Sounds like Dinos.

Summary of what to do about Dino's:

1. join the "Mack's reef Dinoflagellates support group!" on facebook
  2. goto "Files" on the top row and download "Dealing With Dinos" (currently Rev G - published Feb 2022)
  3. read it, top to bottom.  Think about it, read it again.
  4. If nothing else, just read the index.  It covers chemistry, identification, bacteria, phyto, copeopds, UV, hydrogen peroxide, silica dosing, blackouts, ...   All methods I'd read about in different forums, in one place.

On 2/28/2023 at 9:05 PM, obrien.david.j said:

sure.  text me tomorrow and we can work out when

I probably should have taken you up on that.  I got out the mirrorless camera and tripod and took some good pictures and posted on reef2reef and they said 100%, it's definitely cyano.  I turned my lights from 40% blue and 10% white to only 40% blue.  I also started feeding my diamond watchman goby on that side of the tank.   I don't know which is responsible,  but it's completely cleared from the sand.

In other news, I noticed some small patches of briopsys.   I immediately ordered some reef flux.   I don't know why, but this threw me over the top to want to try a blackout and try to kill the green hair algae and cyano

In more positive news,  I've got the sump taking shape.   I just have to reinforce the corners and make baffles

20230306_202649.jpg

20230304_123243.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scooter said:

I probably should have taken you up on that.  I got out the mirrorless camera and tripod and took some good pictures and posted on reef2reef and they said 100%, it's definitely cyano.  I turned my lights from 40% blue and 10% white to only 40% blue.  I also started feeding my diamond watchman goby on that side of the tank.   I don't know which is responsible,  but it's completely cleared from the sand.

In other news, I noticed some small patches of briopsys.   I immediately ordered some reef flux.   I don't know why, but this threw me over the top to want to try a blackout and try to kill the green hair algae and cyano

I don't take using reef flux lightly.    I haven't used it personally, but others have with various results.  It's an algaecide, so if its used, it will take time to restabilize the tank.

1 hour ago, obrien.david.j said:

I don't take using reef flux lightly.    I haven't used it personally, but others have with various results.  It's an algaecide, so if its used, it will take time to restabilize the tank.

Eek 😟

I noticed the briopsys in a few different spots.  It's definitely spread out throught the tank.  My only thought for holding off is maybe to wait until I get more coral.  I feel like I'm going to load up on coral and then have to do it again 

A biological solution would be sacoglassans like the elysia slugs. They are known to consume different types of algae at different points in their life. Young crispata favor fresh calciferous algae growth but they are known to be immune to the kahalalide f found in bryopsis (what renders organisms that attempt to eat it lethargic). They essentially will suck the chloroplasts out and use it to supplement their energy. There are different species of elysia that may be used, I only have expierence in keeping elysia crispata and diomeda. 

Slugs will grow over time and then lay eggs where they will slowly shrink and die. Then you'll have a bunch of little ones running around. This works because they'll eat algae they favor but won't target eradicate. They will get everywhere though so it'll help prevent it or snuff it out if you keep them going. 

If you're interested I can give you some young crispata when mine decide to kick the bucket. Or in a couple weeks I'll possibly be able to bring in a fresh batch from fellow reefers. Just be wary of peppermint shrimps since they'll shred the frills for some reason, large wrasse, and powerheads though they're smart enough to use it to their advantage for solar power. Slugs build a natural defense based on what they eat, bryopsis makes them icky. 

Those reef products you are considering erode away metabolic pathways for a lot of your reef macro + micro algae excluding green turf algae. It will upset your chemistry in a way to allow for something else to fill the void. This can be avoided if you can reduce eutropohic conditions during the cycle. 

No nastiness to deal with like you would worry about a cucumber or nudibranch kicking the bucket. They won't nuke just fall apart and add a bunch of nutrients so be wary in picking them up. 

Picture is of an elysia crispata that resides in my NPS growout. This is a second generation individual I produced. 

Screenshot_20230307_143053_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Eatfrenchfries
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eatfrenchfries said:

A biological solution would be sacoglassans like the elysia slugs. They are known to consume different types of algae at different points in their life. Young crispata favor fresh calciferous algae growth but they are known to be immune to the kahalalide f found in bryopsis (what renders organisms that attempt to eat it lethargic). They essentially will suck the chloroplasts out and use it to supplement their energy. There are different species of elysia that may be used, I only have expierence in keeping elysia crispata and diomeda. 

Slugs will grow over time and then lay eggs where they will slowly shrink and die. Then you'll have a bunch of little ones running around. This works because they'll eat algae they favor but won't target eradicate in the way you may be interested.

If you're interested I can give you some young crispata when mine decide to kick the bucket. Or in a couple weeks I'll possibly be able to bring in a fresh batch from fellow reefers. Just be wary of peppermint shrimps since they'll shred the frills for some reason, large wrasse, and powerheads though they're smart enough to use it to their advantage for solar power. Slugs build a natural defense based on what they eat, bryopsis makes them icky. 

Those reef products you are considering erode away metabolic pathways for a lot of your reef macro + micro algae excluding green turf algae. It will upset your chemistry in a way to allow for something else to fill the void. This can be avoided if you can reduce eutropohic conditions during the cycle. 

No nastiness to deal with like you would worry about a cucumber or nudibranch kicking the bucket. They won't nuke just fall apart and add a bunch of nutrients so be wary in picking them up. 

Picture is of an elysia crispata that resides in my NPS growout. This is a second generation individual I produced. 

Screenshot_20230307_143053_Gallery.jpg

I wasn't aware that anything ate briopsys.  Will they cure it completely?

I'm not sure I followed you on the Peppermint shrimp.  I do have two of them 

Edited by Scooter

Peppermint shrimp for some reason like to ride cucumbers, slugs, nudibranchs, etc. They are attracted to the frills on the slugs and may pester them. Pestering is never good in reefing since it is very stressful.  Possibly even kill. 

Elysia slugs are specialized eaters and and there are multiple types sold under the name "green lettuce slug/nudi." It is a slug and it is thought that in addition to being able to handle bryopsis they can produce energy for themselves using chloroplasts to survive eutrophic conditions and green water created by bryopsis spawning. Makes sense because it's only about 10% of their total energy and those waters would be inhospitable to most other organisms during such events. 

Like I said, they'll eat it but not target it. Kinda like an urchin. So if you keep up your maintenance + keep the slugs then over time they should eliminate the algae. Bryopsis though can regenerate from single cells so it may come back suddenly if your tank conditions shift to favor it again. 

Ideally you'd keep your swings, nutrients, and dominant exporter in check to prevent it from blooming again without chemicals or tampering with your rock.

Another slug that inhabits my acetabularia seed.

I pretty much do my best to continually rear the slugs for my macro tanks. It just gets hard when they grow faster than my current stash. 

Screenshot_20230307_145616_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Eatfrenchfries
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...