Good source for RODI water in East Portland

Rp McMurphy

Looking for recommendations for water in East Portland as my previous source is now unavailable. Currently driving to to Cuttlefish (and have been going there for years for coral and livestock) but it ends up being a 45 min round trip just for 15 gallons of water. I only have a Nuvo 20 and 12 gallon long so it doesn’t really make sense to set up my own system. 

Looking for real life experience with sources. 

Thanks! 

Buying an RODI was probably the single most helpful thing I've done....next up being an APEX. I was making 5g at a time with my buckets in a bathtub before I moved to my house with a garage, so you don't need a ton of space - or to even have it hooked up forever. People often have used units, and then you just need to buy filters and you're making your own sweet RODI. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback. Up until this year I was renting and it wasn’t an option. Suppose it’s time to revisit getting one. 

Any noticeable hit on your water bill? 

Edit: In fairness to Cuttlefish it’s $2/5 gal. Point is still taken.  

Edited by Rp McMurphy

In a pinch we went to Woody's Seahorse on HWY-30.  Their website shows they provide RO and SW.  https://seahorse-nw.com/about-us/

However, I strongly suggest you invest in your own setup.  For years when I rented I connected an RO system to my Water supply in either the laundry room or under the kitchen sink.  You only need the 2-part system (1-5 micron Pre-Filter and RO) to get you started.  I would fill up two or three 5 gallon jugs overnight or on the weekend which would give me water for top-off and water changes sufficiently.  Saving some waste water was good for watering plants or rinsing my gear when I cleaned it, but most went down the drain and I didn't see a high water bill.

You can add a booster pump if your building's water pressure is too low and your RO harvest takes too long (This took me from 5gal/8hrs to 5 gals/3hrs).  You can also upgrade to a secondary RO, which will double your output rate again by sending your waste water through another RO.  You can add a float valve on the output if you want to better prevent overspilling (or run over a bigger Tupperware bin or bathtub).

I slowly built from this initial system to eventually having a 65 gallon holding tank and 7-part DO-DI solution in my house's garage.  It's really nice to have and does save $$$ in not much time if you go to bigger tanks.

1 hour ago, mpfinnigan said:

In a pinch we went to Woody's Seahorse on HWY-30.  Their website shows they provide RO and SW.  https://seahorse-nw.com/about-us/

However, I strongly suggest you invest in your own setup…

Thanks all for taking the time to reply so thoroughly. Been a long time lurker here.

Looks like I’ll be setting up my own RODI!

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 12:01 PM, Rp McMurphy said:

Looking for recommendations for water in East Portland as my previous source is now unavailable. Currently driving to to Cuttlefish (and have been going there for years for coral and livestock) but it ends up being a 45 min round trip just for 15 gallons of water. I only have a Nuvo 20 and 12 gallon long so it doesn’t really make sense to set up my own system. 

Looking for real life experience with sources. 

Thanks! 

You can set up Catalytic Carbon and DI filtration for your need save gas money for sure to buy livestock 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 11:58 AM, half-astronaut said:

Off topic, but did you used to rent a practice space by the Moda center? There can’t be that many RP McMurphys out there. 

Ha, no. McMurphy is close to my real name so it’s been my online persona for years. RP McMurphy is the main character in Cuckoo’s Nest (big fan of Kesey) so I doubt I’m the only one who’s used it.