Excess Phyto (blend) + Pod (blend) available

Eatfrenchfries

Finished harvesting phyto from the new reactors. Had enough excess to make 6 bottles of blend. 

Isochrysis + Tetraselmis + Nannochloropsis + Thalassiosira.

There's a splash of Pyrocystis and Porphyridium as well. 

Located in Portland, $10 for 16oz bottle. Cheaper in bulk. Shipping available 

A few flasks of nanno + iso are available well.

20221215_115652.jpg

20221210_132411.jpg

Edited by Eatfrenchfries

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 4:21 PM, Eatfrenchfries said:

Rotifers available. $10 for 16oz bottle. Bring your own 1/2 gallon container and I'll fill it for $20. 

L type available. 

S type coming soon.....

20221220_161535.jpg

Screenshot_20221220_161830_Gallery.jpg

Ooh, wish I saw this when I got the phyto from you. Can those rotifers survive/breed in the reef? Would be great if I could get some that can colonize my tanks. 

Back from holiday. Had a few mishaps keeping the cultures automated for the first time but thankfully there's always master cultures. Picture included below of the 500mL strains I keep 24/7 in case of crashes. Also keep 5mL of cells to start over again as well. 

Phyto, pods, and rotifers are good to go. Phyto this week is a bit more Iso concentrated since that's my surplus until my next harvest 1/9. 

Picture is of one lone black mangrove next to a bundle of reds zip tied together. 

20230103_143310.jpg

20230102_025951.jpg

Harvesting the next batch of phyto tomorrow night so get your orders in now! Copepod density has increased enough to produce a few bottles each month. Currently have a blend of tig, tisbe, apocyclops, and parvo. 

$15 pods 

$10 for phyto blend ( still running ISO dominant until nanno quantities are back up to equal.)

Located in Portland, nearest crossroad is Oleson Rd x Scholls Ferry.

Also pictured is some Rhodopseudomonas palustris (purple non sulphuric bacteria) fed algae exudates + a couple other goodies. Just cleared the 30 day incubation period + 15 day gutloading. Time to test it out. Currently playing around with nutrient recycling + NPS food for dendronephthya. 

20230108_123409.jpg

20230107_174258.jpg

Edited by Eatfrenchfries

• Eatfrenchfries changed the title to Excess Phyto (blend) + Pod (blend) available
10 hours ago, Eatfrenchfries said:

Current density is around ~8million cells per mL for the ISO with the custom F/2 formula. Baking soda is key. 

20230108_192813.jpg

Image is broken.  repost please.     

What method do you use to measure culture density.   Can you show a picture of what you use, and how you do it?

And what's the magic of baking soda.   Interested.

@obrien.david.j

Currently using a secchi stick for rough estimates on culture density. Every so often I'll use my microscope to try and do an actual cell count. Still trying to find a mount to fit around the eyepiece for my phone.  Basically get a tally counter and count the amount in the slide and multiply. 

Insert secchi stick into water and when the target mark disappears you read the depth. There's a conversion chart for different phyto strains on how dense they can be. 

Baking soda is used for Alk, balancing pH, and adjusting CO2 levels (important if you do spirulna or motile algaes). Used in the standard Guillard F/2 but not in the right quantity to culture a few strains of the other phyto effectively. Started to mix my own F/2 with great success that I've been able to slowly tune to each strain I add. Basically you're keeping production going even during lights off on your culture with it. Not saying this is Iso specific or the key but it's one of the steps to keeping it going. 

Picture is of secchi stick inserted into one of my Isochrysis cultures. 

20230108_192813.jpg

Edited by Eatfrenchfries

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

5 - 7 - 2023

Phytoplankton Blend (4) - $8 for 16oz / $60 for 128 oz

-(Nanno, Iso, Tet, Thal)

Phytoplankton Blend (7) - $12 for 16oz / $85 for 128oz

-(Nanno, Iso, Tet, Thal, Por, Rhodo, Sym)

*DM for inquiry into single strain pricing/availability*

Copepod Blend (4) - $15 for 16oz

-(Tig, Tis, Apo, Parvo)

L  Rotifers - $10 for 16oz 

Shipping: $15 to ship orders under $100, orders over $100 are free in OR/WA. 

Local Pickup: Raleigh Hills 

More Info Here:

20230507_225755.jpg

Edited by Eatfrenchfries
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...