Best monitor system

islandVib3s

So I might go on vacation out of country for a month. Trying to figure out the best system for monitoring and testing and correcting. Apex Jr and trident with eb8 and dosers? Also probably cameras? I'll probably end up direct feeding rodi to a big ato container and leave it running with valve 1/4 to half open. Any thoughts? Thanks 

My system is all Apex automation based.   

• ATO is DOS driven, Fixed maximum amount per day, with Optical level sensor for "Stop Now" 
  • Temp is Apex controlled, with overheat protection from local thermostat set a few degrees higher than Apex setpoint
  • Trident for testing, and turns off my calcium reactor when Alk > 9.0
  • Dedicated pH probe in the calcium reactor, which Apex turns off CO2 supply when pH is below target acidity
  • Cameras to monitor are anything you want, because there's Zero connectivity of any value with Neptune/Apex

• Thanks 1

Not an expert in chemistry, but you want not want to add other elemental additives, because it can possibly drive the kalk out of the solution, look up common ions effect. Really depends on your additives though, but I think acropower should be fine??? I think my only concern is just the amino acid might go bad no idea how does pH affect their stability.

Edited by Kerbash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use the Hydros system and love it.

Hydros products in use:
  • Wifi fish feeder
  • X4
  • XS
  • XP8
  • ATO pump
  • 3 water level sensors
  • 1 skimmer water sensor
  • 2 PH probes
  • 2 temperature sensors
  • 1 spot leak detector
  • 1 rope leak detector

Monitoring and automation on the Hydros controller:
  • Monitor & graph temperature (two temperature sensors). If temp gets too high shut off heater controller & notify me.
  • If the rope leak detector gets wet anywhere (snakes under and around my stand) then shut off skimmer, ATO and return pumps, sound alarm & notify me (email, txt & phone alert notification).
  • If the spot leak detector gets wet inside my stand then shut off skimmer, ATO and return pumps, sound alarm & notify me (email, txt & phone alert notification).
  • Monitor & graph PH of aquarium (PH Probe). If PH gets too low or too high notify me.
  • Monitor & graph PH of kalk stirrer (PH Probe). If PH gets too low notify me.
  • When sump level gets low - add fresh water and log it (Water level sensor + ATO Pump).
  • When sump water level gets too high - shut down return pump & sound alarm (email, txt & phone alert notification) (Water level sensor).
  • When the ATO reservoir gets low, notify me (Water level sensor).
  • When the skimmer cup gets full shut off the skimmer and notify me (skimmer water sensor).
  • Stir Kalkwasser every 6 hours for 15 mins (XP8 turning on stirrer motor).
  • Pump freshwater into the Kalk stirrer every 30 mins from 11pm to 7pm (XP8 turning on BRS doser).
  • Monitor and graph results from Alkatronic. If Alk gets too low or high notify me.
  • Control the speed of return pump through 0-10v output in .1v increments (Reef Octopus Varios 6).
  • Control the speed of the skimmer pump through 0-10v output in .1v increments (Reef Octopus Elite skimmer using the VarioS-2 DC pump).
  • Optionally feed fish once or twice daily by enabling the feeder schedule. This will shut off the return pump 1 min before feeding and turn it back on 10 mins later. I do this from the office when I know I won’t be home to feed the tank.
  • Turn on stand lights when I open a stand door (magnetic door switches wired to the 0-10v input channel B).
  • Switch modes using a button box wired to 0-10v input channel A. Feed (turn off return & skimmer for 10 mins) & Water change (turn off return, skimmer & circulation pumps for as long as the toggle switch is open).

Unutilized capacity:
  • 2 channels on the 0-10v input
  • 2 channels on the 0-10v output
  • 1 drive port on the X4
  • 1 outlet on the XP8

Screenshot_20221118-210532.jpg

Screenshot_20221118-210520.jpg

Edited by jtichenor
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, islandVib3s said:

The new one had a salinity problem port.

Yes - the new Hydros X10 incorporates 4 dosing heads and a salinity port. I plan to get the X10 to replace my X4, 4-port Red Sea doser, and Alkatronic when it comes out. Also planning to get the new Hydros Kraken to replace most of the AC power bricks and be the battery backup on my system when it comes out as well.

• Like 1

I’d say Apex with trident. Hard to beat and will warn you/control dosing for you. I can’t say enough good about my Apex system and would feel pretty comfortable leaving for extended periods with it keeping things in check.

All that said though, having a person check in periodically is worth its weight in gold. Corals get flipped by fish or snails, could be a random fish death, etc that would be super hard to know about and could be missed on a cam. Even just once a week or even at the halfway point could really keep things safe.

3 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

I’d say Apex with trident. Hard to beat and will warn you/control dosing for you. I can’t say enough good about my Apex system and would feel pretty comfortable leaving for extended periods with it keeping things in check.

All that said though, having a person check in periodically is worth its weight in gold. Corals get flipped by fish or snails, could be a random fish death, etc that would be super hard to know about and could be missed on a cam. Even just once a week or even at the halfway point could really keep things safe.

The cons to me for a apex/trident setup is costs,and the programming and setup along with alot of other modules you'll need to use it just seems crazy to me. If I had that kind of money I still probably get one. Hydros system is super simple to me. And it'll likely not cost me a lung and kidney but maybe a couple weekends at the corner in Portland somewhere. Lol