Unpopular Opinion? - Im ok with wild corals and Fish being expensive.

edsimmons

I'm OK with wild corals and fish being expensive, I think it makes people less willing to "Just try it and see if it lives".

I was reefing in the late 90's when Yellow Tangs where $25 and PBTs where $40 and I witnessed a lot of fish wasted because someone wanted to "Just try it and see if it lives".

I think & hope paying $180 for a PBT will cause folks to do more research and learning in an effort to not waste the life of a wild animal and $180.

What do y'all think?

Edited by edsimmons
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, edsimmons said:

I'm OK with wild corals and fish being expensive, I think it makes people less willing to "Just try it and see if it lives".

I was reefing in the late 90's when Yellow Tangs where $25 and PBTs where $40 and I witnessed a lot of fish wasted because someone wanted to "Just try it and see if it lives".

I think & hope paying $180 for a PBT will cause folks to do more research and learning in an effort to not waste the life of a wild animal and $180.

What do y'all think?

I second this opinion. While it’s nice to score a deal I am happy that there are more places like biota that have breeding programs. 

I also agree the price helps cut down on the impulsive factor and I am always willing to pay more for a healthy fish.

As the saying goes , the most expensive fish is a dead fish.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 12:42 AM, svt_guido said:

Wow… this makes sense…

I’m a new hobbyist and I believe some coral should be free to attract new reefers, but I also realize the time it takes us to grow it so the good stuff should carry a premium.

as should wild caught

I price corals bases on how fast they grow, if "Jaw Breaker" mushroom anemones grow fast in my tank I'll sell them for $5 each or give away floaters. If Monti cap grows too fast and I have to break pieces off so it doesn't start a fight with its neighbor I give it away. I don't think a fancy made up trade name should command a higher price, IMO if it grows fast or slow for me that's what the price is based on.

As for wild collected corals - I agree and I think a person can put together a REALLY nice tank with 100% Aquaculture corals.

• Like 1