Automatic Frozen Food Feeder

John Vinson

I'm thinking of doing something similar to this and was wondering if anyone here had tried it as well:

The main concern in the comments section seems to be the food remaining in the dosing line (outside of the fridge) going bad, which could be remedied by reversing the pump back into the fridge after feeding.  I primarily feed Cuttlefish's Frozen LRS food, with separate mysis and fish eggs supplemented (as well as seaweed).  I do have an Apex, so if I could get a pump that works with it to do a quick reverse pump after feeding, that may be the way to go.  Also, there seems to be concerns on if the fridge keeps it cold enough as well as maybe adding a stirrer to keep things from settling at the bottom of the cup.  The idea would be to only keep about 1 weeks worth of food at a time (quick family vacations, etc).  Anyone else found success with something like this? 

I have been running the Plank Feeder from Avast Marine https://www.avastmarine.com/products/autofeeder for about 5 months now and I love it.  It doesn't do frozen food but it rehydrates food very well.  I switched to the mix that Avast makes but would work with anything. The mixing tube works very well and easily programmed with Apex or a timer.

I currently have it mounted on the top of my tank and it does detract from the appeal of it. I am thinking about moving it to the sump and have it drop into the return chamber.

Going to follow along as I would like to try something like this myself too.

Seems like a lot of work for feeding only on vacation. The fish will survive, well actually thrive, just fine off of pellets and a $20-$30 feeder. Think of it like when mom takes a night off and dad cooks his special kraft mac and cheese with hotdogs. Not the most nutritional, but the little ones will be just fine. 

9 hours ago, John Vinson said:

The purpose would be to feed frozen food while away for a week or so....5-6 hours wouldn't be much of a vacation :)

4 hours ago, OregonGrownReef said:

Seems like a lot of work for feeding only on vacation. The fish will survive, well actually thrive, just fine off of pellets and a $20-$30 feeder. Think of it like when mom takes a night off and dad cooks his special kraft mac and cheese with hotdogs. Not the most nutritional, but the little ones will be just fine. 

5-6 hours is only the time the food will be stagnant in the tube from the fridge to the tank…