Skimmer unusable?

John Vinson

I can't figure out how it happened, but something screwed up my skimmer (Simplicity 240DC).  I follow the manual for tuning it correctly (sump water level is right at 8 inches, manual says 7-9).  I've got the water adjustment tube set arrow-to-arrow and no matter what I do, it continues to dump microbubbles into the tank (none of the sponges I've tried manage to reduce them either).  I thought it might be the CO2 scrubber, so I tried with it off and nothing changed. 

The Reefmat keeps the tank pretty clear, so normally I'd be fine with just turning off the skimmer and/or removing it altogether.   However, the CO2 scrubber is the only think keeping my Ph up within respectable levels, and as soon as it's turned off, you can see how much of a effect it has:

ph.thumb.png.0624808baeb16450eddeedc92a949657.png

Anyone see anything blatantly wrong that I'm doing, or run into a similar problem and manage to fix it? 

I'd say there's something else going on in your water. Mine has done this on occasion due to something in the water. I'm betting you've got it turned way down compared to normal too. Turn it back up and dump the cup 5 or 6 times and see if it settles down. If not turn it off for a day or so and try again