Sps phosphate and nitrate

Kerbash

sup guys,

Has anyone has experience with SPS and how they perform in low vs zero phosphate nitrate environment? My tank have been at like undetectable phosphate and real low nitrate for a real long while now, my sps does fine but no where near as colorful as some other people, but I have been seeing recently that some people are dosing phosphate and nitrate?! And Im still deciding should I dose it or not. Anyone got any input?

I'm fairly confident my tank was turned up side down in 2021 due to three things.  1. started Red Sea AB+ (aminos) 2. never measured NO3/PO4  ... 3. I let them go to zero multiple times.   (and maybe 4. too much Iron additive)   The result, Cyano and then Dinos!   Thread attached.

As an old school reefer, the goal originally was Zero for both.  But in reality, I think it was "zero reading on crappy test kits."  I'm now testing with Hanna HI736 and HI782 kits, and very happy with them.    I tried make it yourself dosing solutions, and think I screwed up the phosphate.  I'm now just using Brightwell NeoPhos and NeoNitrate when needed.   They've both worked for me.    When I dose, I test daily for 5-7 days afterwards.  Amazing to see the tank move around, on it's own.

In my quest to get dinos under control, I've done a bunch of reading and moved to the mentality - I never want true Zero.  And if I'm close, I better dose a little and be watching like a hawk.  

Every tank is different.  What ever you do, do it slowly, and monitor.   But I don't want to say, Just Do This...

My suggestion, download two pdf from Moonshiner's reef Webstore.

My thread on battling Dinos.

8 hours ago, Kerbash said:

sup guys,

Has anyone has experience with SPS and how they perform in low vs zero phosphate nitrate environment? My tank have been at like undetectable phosphate and real low nitrate for a real long while now, my sps does fine but no where near as colorful as some other people, but I have been seeing recently that some people are dosing phosphate and nitrate?! And Im still deciding should I dose it or not. Anyone got any input?

For ULNS (ultra low nutrient system) to keep sps you can follow zeofit system

1 hour ago, obrien.david.j said:

I'm fairly confident my tank was turned up side down in 2021 due to three things.  1. started Red Sea AB+ (aminos) 2. never measured NO3/PO4  ... 3. I let them go to zero multiple times.   (and maybe 4. too much Iron additive)   The result, Cyano and then Dinos!   Thread attached.

As an old school reefer, the goal originally was Zero for both.  But in reality, I think it was "zero reading on crappy test kits."  I'm now testing with Hanna HI736 and HI782 kits, and very happy with them.    I tried make it yourself dosing solutions, and think I screwed up the phosphate.  I'm now just using Brightwell NeoPhos and NeoNitrate when needed.   They've both worked for me.    When I dose, I test daily for 5-7 days afterwards.  Amazing to see the tank move around, on it's own.

In my quest to get dinos under control, I've done a bunch of reading and moved to the mentality - I never want true Zero.  And if I'm close, I better dose a little and be watching like a hawk.  

Every tank is different.  What ever you do, do it slowly, and monitor.   But I don't want to say, Just Do This...

My suggestion, download two pdf from Moonshiner's reef Webstore.

My thread on battling Dinos.

Yeah, I think when I first started 0 nitrate and phosphate has always been the goal too. Thanks for your input, ill take a look at the Brightwell supplements