Time to give up on SPS? :(

John Vinson

I've been trying with little success to add some SPS to my mixed reef tank.  Some of them are bleaching (PAR is only around 140 on the blue stylo), and others get a slime/algae (can't tell if it's red or not, I'm colorblind).  The highest PAR is around 170 on the spongebob, but it's pretty much done-in with the red algae.  I have the Hydra 32HD's and I've just been using one of their "Signature" settings that you can download for the lighting parameters and schedule. 

As for my other tank parameters, here's where they are typically:

Temp: 79F, Salinity: 1.026, Ph: 8.1-8.3, Alk: 8.6-8.9, Calc: 475, Mag: 1500, Nitrate: 20, Phos: .07

I keep the Magnesium that high for the LPS in the tank (torches/hammers) - could that be the problem?  I do weekly 10% water changes with the BRS Tropic Marin Syn-Biotic salt and RO water.  I haven't done an ICP test to see if something weird is going on, but am willing to give it a shot if nothing else is jumping out as a potential cause for the carnage.   Do I have a red algae problem that I need to treat chemically (since the CuC doesn't touch it)?  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

coral1.jpg

coral2.jpg

coral3.jpg

coral4.jpg

coral5.jpg

coral6.jpg

I agree, your SPS are unhappy, and melting.     I do see what looks like Cyano (red slime algae), but it could actually be dinoflagellates.   I made that mistake once, let the "red slime" coat my corals - killed them all, and then figured out I had Dinos.   (there are a few varieties fyi)

Even if you don't have dino's, do this first step I posted about my battle.   It's general good health of your tank for all these conditions.

Summary of what to do about Dino's:

1. join the "Mack's reef Dinoflagellates support group!" on facebook
  2. goto "Files" on the top row and download "Dealing With Dinos" (currently Rev G - published Feb 2022)
  3. read it, top to bottom.  Think about it, read it again.
  4. If nothing else, just read the index.  It covers chemistry, identification, bacteria, phyto, copeopds, UV, hydrogen peroxide, silica dosing, blackouts, ...   All methods I'd read about in different forums, in one place.

• Like 1

Hmm yes sps are little harder but your parameters look perfect for sps imop. Kinda wierd the stylo is effected on one side, could it be the non high flow side? I would try a higher flow. Presets aren't always good but my go to is usually blue 80,db 90,uv 80. No white,red,green cause they can promote growth of bad algaes. But yea I hope this helps a little.

2 hours ago, islandVib3s said:

Also I would check for pests. Flat worms and monti nudis. I've battled both and they're really tiny and white pale so you may need to have a good eye. They're usually night stalkers on top of that so goodluck

I have a Melanarus wrasse that has decimated the flatworm population....not sure about the nudis (wouldn't I see them at night with a flashlight?)

2 hours ago, islandVib3s said:

Hmm yes sps are little harder but your parameters look perfect for sps imop. Kinda wierd the stylo is effected on one side, could it be the non high flow side? I would try a higher flow. Presets aren't always good but my go to is usually blue 80,db 90,uv 80. No white,red,green cause they can promote growth of bad algaes. But yea I hope this helps a little.

With the signature profile I was using, it had some reds and whites turned on, but no greens....I've since turned them all off and am only running UV, V, RB, B

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John Vinson said:

I have a Melanarus wrasse that has decimated the flatworm population....not sure about the nudis (wouldn't I see them at night with a flashlight?)

Whenever I've found nudis they were smaller then some pods. So if your eyes are sharp,you'll see them, the body can be as small as the lead of a lead pencil.  Or sometimes smaller.Screenshot_20221024-183239_Chrome.jpg

37 minutes ago, John Vinson said:

One thing I forgot to note, I have been dosing AB+ (otherwise my nitrates drop too low).  I figured if it helped to feed the coral and kept my nitrates up then it should be fine....but if it's adding jet fuel to the algae, I'll switch back to NeoNitro

I'm pretty sure dosing AB+ got my system in big trouble.  Jet Fuel.   And I wasn't careful nor controlled in adding it.   I haven't added any aminos since getting Cyano and Dinos under control.   That's my experience.

I ran AB+ when it first came out following the directions on the bottle (which I believe was daily dosing). Everything grew great and went along fine for a month or so but then it kind of went down hill and had a cyano/algae bloom. Now I just dose it 1x a week. Not saying that is the perfect amount or anything but def don’t following the bottle dosing amount.

I agree with what has been said here, nothing stands out in your parameters that would cause this. Get yourself an ATI ICP for $45 and see what it reports. I prefer that test as it also has your ATO water tested. A lot of issue can start with top off so worth the check!

Good luck! Come grab some starburst monticap when you want to give it another go 👍

15 hours ago, reefrun said:

I’d definitely recommend an icp test. I agree with not running white, red, green. I’d also recommend a Bayer dip to be safe

How are your other corals doing? Are you running a skimmer? How’s your flow?

Most other corals are doing fine (zoas, toadstools, mushrooms, hammers and torches).  My neon green candy canes aren't doing so well though, so I've moved them to see if I can make them happy again.  I do have a skimmer (Simplicity 240DC) and two Reefwave25's that provide plenty of flow (I actually have them turned down to their lowest setting, otherwise they blast everything)

Since stopping the AB+ dosing and turning off all the red, white and green lights, I've ordered an ICP test kit and will be picking up a microscope later this afternoon (following the Mack's FB group FAQ).  I do have an oversized UV sterilizer (coralife turbo twist 6x ultraviolet sterilizer 18Watt, for 250 gallon tank, and mine is ~115 gallons with the sump).  The only reactors I'm running is GFO (to keep my phosphates within reason) and I do have a spare carbon reactor that I'm not using.  I may try to find some room in the sump for it if it makes sense to use it (I thought running carbon was more for water clarity, and the reefmat pretty much takes care of that)

2 hours ago, John Vinson said:

Looks like the microscope was a bust (cheap digital one), couldn't get a detailed enough image to ID the algae properly.  Anyone local have one that I can bring a sample to? :)

I've got a microscope, but the opposite side of town from you, if your profile is correct.   I'm in Cedar Mill.

Maybe someone  is closer to you, around Happy Valley.

1 hour ago, obrien.david.j said:

I've got a microscope, but the opposite side of town from you, if your profile is correct.   I'm in Cedar Mill.

Maybe someone  is closer to you, around Happy Valley.

Not a problem....I'm definitely willing to travel to you at your convenience, if you're comfortable with a visit :)

Thanks again to Dave for letting me bother him yesterday and confirming my algae issue is, in fact, cyano.  I've blown most of what I can see off of the rocks with a powerhead and my NO3/PO4 readings are 26/0.06 respectively (as of 10 min ago).  Still debating on whether or no to use the chemiclean (leaning towards using it, to be honest, just to try and get rid of everything I couldn't see, but I'll probably wait until I get a couple water changes in to see if I can get the nitrates down to around 10)

• Like 1